Rain

I just left a family function in which I saw many people I haven't seen in a long time. I found that, as at most family functions of the last three years, I congregated with people closest to my own age, leaving the older folks to themselves.
For most of my life I have preferred the company and conversation of the elderly while avoiding the young. I always felt like I was absorbing more wisdom and insight that way. I'm not sure what happened.
Do I now feel as if I have reached some zenith upon which no person's knowledge stands higher? Does my own impending age make me feel as though I must cling to the younger so that I can hold on to what youth I have left?
Whatever the case, I hope to reverse this trend. I know the older will not always be around to converse with, and when I take their place I will be quite sad if my younger relations treat me the way I am behaving now.

Comments

Popular Posts