MxPx -- The Renaissance EP

 photo MxPx_-_The_Renaissance_EP_cover_zpsmydmr6rp.jpg
7/10

And here is the moment where MxPx became mortal. After an incredible five-year run where essentially everything they recorded was punk rock gold, it only took one chorus for me to realize that MxPx was not, in fact, infallible. That chorus comes from The Renaissance EP's third song, "Party II (Time to Go"), and its lyrics are: All my favorite movies/Have the coolest parties/Like The Cable Guy, Say Anything, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Grease... Not only is this the lamest chorus ever, but DUDE, outside of The Cable Guy, all those movies are GIRL MOVIES*. And who cares if they have the coolest parties?! My coolest party is me reading a book in the bathtub.
I suddenly felt like MxPx wasn't my band anymore.
Actually, MxPx would eventually release a lot more music that I was and am incredibly fond of, but I think of this EP as kicking off MxPx's "Dark Period." The Renaissance EP is not terrible or anything-- most of the songs are pretty good--but the production is weak, and the songs just aren't as memorable as MxPx's better work. I felt like I was in an MxPx desert in the summer of 2001, after a whole year of no new MxPx releases, and The Renaissance EP didn't slake my thirst. Listening to all of the band's albums so many times over the course of this month, I can at least see this EP for what it is--a fun quickie--but I can still see that in the vast sea of MxPx music, The Renaissance EP is a minor current. Except for "Yuri Wakes Up Screaming," which is a tidal wave of awesome.


*Is it offensive to label certain movies "Girl Movies?" I mean, it wasn't two weeks ago, but it might be offensive now. If it is, then isn't the entire marketing industry offensive?

2001 Fat Wreck Chords
1. Lonesome Town 2:19
2. Letting Go 2:21
3. Party II (Time to Go) 2:18
4. Time Will Tell 1:28
5. The Opposite 1:43
6. Don't Look Back 2:38
7. Talk Of The Town 1:42
8. The Struggle 2:01
9. Yuri Wakes Up Screaming 1:35

Comments

Popular Posts