Radiohead -- OK Computer


10/10

Radiohead excavated the buried treasure of their true gift at the end of sophomore album, The Bends: the ability to convey despair. Since they pulled this musical feeling from the pit of their hearts, they've little deviated from it, even as their sound changes in leaps and bounds.
From the first notes of Radiohead's junior effort, OK Computer, the music espouses a certain feeling tragedy like everything in the world is irrevocably wrong. As, I said above, this feeling would dominate the next ten years of Radiohead's work, until In Rainbows let in just a little light. I find all four of the albums Radiohead released between 1997-2003, despite their aural differences, to be thematically and emotionally interconnected--as singular as OK Computer is, taken as a part of a greater whole, it is even more magnificent. Musically, OK Computer takes the instruments from the previous guitar-driven rock work of the band's first two albums, and hands them to ghosts. This music sounds like it was recorded by the spectres of humanity after the apocalypse, and sent back as a haunting to their formerly living selves. Kid A, which I'll get to next, sounds like it takes place in the rubble of this apocalypse (that I am creating as my own narrative because 500,000 think pieces have been written in the last few months in support of OK Computer's 20th year anniversary, and if I'm going to add a 500,001st, I might as well make it my own...otherwise, why add to the noise?).
The band achieved OK Computer's spectral sound by heavily experimenting with effects pedals and electronics, while beefing up and giving greater prominence to their rhythm section. At the same time, it is clear that each of the players have greatly increased in talent and experience--these songs never start to blur together to me the way The Bends' do after a while. Vocalist/lyricist, Thom Yorke, has mastered the finer facets of his voice, and uses it to the emotional hilt, fully exercising his shrill, yet enjoyable falsetto at moments of peak feeling--something that The Nicsperiment, who can only sing on pitch in his falsetto, greatly appreciates.
Yorke's lyrics have morphed here from straightforward declarations of personal feeling, to metaphorical, metaphysical cultural commentary. He strongly excels at this...actually, the entire band strongly excel at everything they attempt here, giving Gen X their own Dark Side of the Moon, or whatever Baby Boomer rock album you think wildly and trippily experiments, while putting a hat on the alienating feelings of the time.
Critics have broken down these songs on a technical level to such a vast degree, it is nearly pointless for me to do the same, so the only thing that seems relevant is attempting to convey my own emotional reaction to OK Computer. The funny thing is that, living and attending high school in a rural town, with only the local college radio station to let me know what was considered cool, my initial contact with OK Computer was limited. I didn't really get into the band until they released Kid A, and honestly, seeing the artwork at the record store intrigued me to purchase that album as much as the music did. The random songs I did hear from OK Computer, like for instance, "Karma Police," or "No Surprises," didn't really tickle my fancy. It was not until a few years later, after Kid A, that I heard OK Computer in sequence, and experienced those songs true, monstrous power. So in that spirit, in sequence, how about I list the tracks side by side with a corresponding feeling.
1. "Airbag" "From an interstellar burst, I am back to save the universe..." The task of this tragic, cosmic hero feels full of despairing futility, on an epic, universal stage.
2. "Paranoid Android" The despair becomes earthbound, hyperkinetic.
3. "Subterranean Homesick Alien" And suddenly things are chill, and a bit wistful, staring at the stars over tall pines.
4. "Exit Music (For a Film)" Until the quiet hate of this song, with "We hope that you choke" never sung so softly, and yet with such veracity, burns that forest down.
5. "Let Down" Total depression, so damn beautiful in its twinkly chimes like a wake-up call to the reality of fruitless striving, but it takes "Everything Meaningless" to such a monumental, universal level, that it's infinitely crushing, "Let down and hanging around, crushed like a bug in the ground," the rhythm section a boot, stomping you down. Makes me think of the album cover more than any song here. My favorite song from OK Computer, analogous to the "American Radiohead," Appleseed Cast's "Rooms and Gardens." Let me go sob despondently for a moment.
6. "Karma Police" This song is like you drop out of the last song into a quiet, brown-grey street, and are immediately and nonsensically arrested.
7. "Fitter Happier" The automated spoken word of this song might be more depressing than "Let Down." This album, by this point, would be the hugest downer ever recorded, if not for the singular artistry on display.
8. "Electioneering" Suddenly, things get wild and fun, out of control, even though it feels just a little wrong, like things are going off the rails.
9. "Climbing Up the Walls" They don't want to choke you anymore, they want to creep up behind you and, in a moment of supreme terror, bash your skull in.
10. "No Surprises" Well after all that, as you lie half-dead in the gutter, things might as well get a little twinkly again.
11. "Lucky" Another thing that draws the thin line demarcating this album in the masterpiece quadrant, and out of the depressing drag one--the inexplicably positive lyrics of this song, like "I feel my luck could change."
12. "The Tourist" There's some bizarre closure to this song that makes it feel like it could go on forever in its demands, "Hey man, slow down. Idiot! Slow down!" infinity being the very opposite of closure. This album is perfect. On to the apocalypse. After the following rabbit-trail:


If you've never suffered from depression, just imagine this song as your mindset every waking second. You can't move. And just like the middle of a depressive episode, it feels like there's no end or hope in sight. Of course, there is, but when you're in the middle of it, that doesn't even seem like an option or possibility. "Let Down" thoroughly encapsulates these feelings better than any other piece of music I've heard.
Sorry for this digression, but I'd be remiss to review this album, say I'm getting personal, and then not mention this. Thankfully, if your life is this song, there are ways out. From someone who's been there--and in the sense that this is something that must be actively fought for a lifetime, even if I feel fine right now, is there--there's no shame in finding help.

1997 Parlophone/Capitol
1. Airbag 4:44
2. Paranoid Android 6:23
3. Subterranean Homesick Alien 4:27
4. Exit Music (For a Film) 4:24
5. Let Down 4:59
6. Karma Police 4:21
7. Fitter Happier 1:57
8. Electioneering 3:50
9. Climbing Up the Walls 4:45
10. No Surprises 3:48
11. Lucky 4:19
12. The Tourist 5:24

Comments

Graham Wall said…
I'd never visited helpguide.org prior to this, but after perusing, that's a good resource. I'm pretty interested in mental illness, especially depression, so it's nice to find more resources. I noticed in your bio you also mentioned anxiety - from my research depression and anxiety go together quite often - but I was wondering, from your experience, which would you consider worse to undergo: depression or anxiety? If you don't mind me asking, of course.
I don't mind at all. I would first like to preface this by saying that they both suck. They have been the major personal demons and battles of my life. With that said, I have to say that for me, anxiety is a bit worse. With depression, and again, these are simply my personal examples, I have sat in a room for a month without the ability to do anything. It's not even that you are sad--you are simply incapable of personal movement--not talking to anyone, not going out in public, not completing any tasks. I've just sat at the TV or the computer, gone to the kitchen to eat, go to the bathroom, gone back to my room. Not enjoying anything, no matter what I was watching or looking at. That's it. Some part of you knows that you should pursue some type of movement, but you simply can't. I have undergone depressive episodes and not realized it for weeks, and this is why I might have to say that anxiety is worse. With depression, even though I am metaphysically and literally sedentary, I still feel some modicum of control, even if I'm not pulling any levers. With anxiety, I hate the feeling of losing control. I hate that I start shaking and lose control of my ability to think correctly. I hate feeling my heart racing uncontrollably when rationally it should not--I hate my mind thinking one thing and my body seeming to respond another way. It is terrifying, and even if the spell is short, in the midst of it, it feels like it will never end. Hate it so much. Hate it.
I would also say that anxiety for me is worse for this reason: Seeing a therapist has helped immeasurably with depression. I am far more conscious of when my mind is going that route, and I have certain mechanisms in place in my life with which I can fight it. But anxiety...I just haven't completely cracked that yet. I'm learning new methods of fighting it, and I hope they help. Being mindful is a huge component. I haven't had a lot of luck with meds, though I know people who have. For me, I think professional counseling is best.
And you are correct, they do go hand-in-hand...the distorted thoughts I think during depressive episodes likely feed future anxiety, and the distorted thoughts and fear I feel during anxiety can feed future depression, and at the worst moments, the two intertwine like constricting serpents. It's garbage.
That website is great. Those methods listed are legit. You have to stay active in the fight. The minute I stop being mindful and intentional in my thinking, I put myself in a position to go down the rabbit-hole. The second I think, "Maybe I won't hang out with anyone this week," or "I'll take lunch by myself everyday this week," I am putting myself in danger. As an introvert, this compounds things. I think that, and again, I can only speak for myself, being mindful, positive thinking, and frequent human interaction (real meaningful human interaction with real conversing) are the best solutions for me. Isolation breeds both anxiety and depression. I like to get some alone time in, but I have to make sure that I plan social interaction to follow immediately.
Sorry, I feel like I am repeating myself. Was there anything I didn't hit upon that you wanted to hear about, or do you want me to expound on anything more? I know this was a bit of a ramble.
Also, I have had a strange week. I need to catch up on your stuff, and finish writing mine.
Graham Wall said…
Thanks for writing such a thorough and candid response. I can only imagine experiencing depression or anxiety to those points you mentioned ... that sounds awful. I've had times in my life, for instance, unemployment a couple months ago where I was quite alienated ... but it was more so that I just wasn't motivated to socialize much / didn't try, rather than an inability ... not to mention the solitude being carried over from undergrad in the aftermath.

Though I have, at least, some hesitancy in labeling myself with these psychiatric terms (not because of some piety or whatever, but because of a lack of qualifications perhaps), based on my experiences of being depressed or anxious (which, as I understand, are mere fragments of what you discussed), I would choose being depressed over being anxious. So, I just think it's interesting you made a similar response.

A bit of an aside: have you ever heard somebody say people with anxiety are obsessed with control? I've seen that idea float around every now and then and it kinda seems like hogwash to me. Maybe some people with anxiety do have an obsession with control ... I'm willing to entertain possibilities ... but maybe it's more so that non-anxious people, in general, take for granted the control that they have, and anxious people, in general, lose contact with those taken-for-granted controls? That thought's been brewing in my head for a couple years and I thought this was perhaps an appropriate time to share that.

Now I'm rambling. There really is so much to say about these topics.

I look forward to more writings from you. You might like my last post, it's a bit of a travelogue you could say. At least, I'd almost categorize it in that way. The blog-machine's been slowing down a bit recently, so you probably haven't missed much content.
The control thing is new by me, and honestly, it's a bit offensive (I'm glad you think it's hogwash). I can think of two traumatic reasons why I would feel like I have no control: A. I grew up in a cult (and several other males I grew up with around my age suffer from the same or similar issues), and a parental one I'd rather not get into in a public comment. After having control taken away, or having it not even be an option for the majority of my formative years, it's pretty clear what the causes of my issues are. Personally, I think genetics can play into it, as well, but I am realizing now how heavily trauma plays into these kind of issues. Especially when it's all you know to the point that you normalize it, and later don't realize why you are depressed, anxious, etc. This is another reason I think speaking to a mental health professional is such a great tool: when you've normalized trauma, actually speaking to someone about it can reveal to you how not normal it is--which then makes dealing with it actually possible.
Anony Cat said…
I forget who it was, but someone recently tweeted about how anxiety was like hearing the boss music in game, but never being able to see or find the boss. That just seemed to encapsulate it perfectly for us (maybe in part because I've been playing far too much Breath of the Wild lately).

I think I've had more personal experience with the depressive side of things, though I think some of my issues with writing the past couple of years (and sending out of my writing to agents and magazines) is anxiety related. I get in these spirals about how what I'm doing is not worth it, or won't connect, or why I'm spending so much time on this cover letter when the agent is going to read it in all of two seconds (which makes me take even longer as I agonize over phrasing). It's definitely not about control, it's more about my over-imaginative brain focusing on the many, many permutations of what could happen and just drowning in the possibilities. It's not just about thinking about other things, either, though that can help some. It's akin to getting a song stuck in your head--sometimes it just won't go.

I found your thoughts on thought patterns and actions leading to depressive moments so spot on (and the same for some of my own addictive tendencies). Before Jessica, I would have these strong swings and just bad, downer days (or longer). There is something about having another person around to share and discuss that keeps me connected and avoiding my darker places. That's not to say I never have them anymore, I just know I do much better now than I did before meeting her (and marrying her). When we were living apart I had them much more than I do when we're together. It's really reinforced how important actual, real, honest human contact is for everyone.

I don't think I've ever had actual depression as defined by medicine/psychology, but from reading and learning about it, I know I have depressed days and that I lean in that direction. And maybe that is why Radiohead often speaks to me, even as I try to push back against some of that longing depression in their work.
Neal said…
Blergh, that was me above. Forgot to check the name stuff! :p
I think that Boss music descriptor is pretty apt. Speaking of bosses and Breath of the Wild, I just beat the fourth divine beast. It's time to take Calamity Gannon down!
It's a tough thing with writing, as it's awfully hard to finish something, or even get started when you feel petrified.
Neal said…
Yeah, BOTW makes that description just work. I've had more than a few times where the music changes and I'm like "where is this thing trying to kill me that I can't see?" Another apt one could be thunderstorms... first time I encountered one I was like "what, I have to find shelter whenever one of these comes around? Lame!" That was after I actually was hit by lightning, too. That made for a panicky reload and trying to remember where a nearby, half-destroyed building had been. :)

I know better now, but still. Kind of like the many times I have to remind myself of Cryonis and that I don't need to push wooden treasure chests to shore. I did that a couple times on Lake Hylia before slapping myself upside the head: even the developers aren't that sadistic! (and yeah, I'm through all the divine beasts and working through my last area of Hyrule, as well as the last few memories and shrines before I go after Ganon).
When I realized I could simply put my metal weapons away, after so much time spent panicking, I felt really silly. What a great game! I made a point to reach the summit of all the towers, so I've been to every region, but I'm not sure if I will ever find every shrine. Then again, after I beat Gannon, I think I could spend a lifetime unpacking this game.
Neal said…
Well, I'm not going to be too self-flagellating and find every Korok, but I did want to explore everywhere and find all the shrines. I'm not happy about there being DLC, but it sounds like it should be worth it, depending on how the new story is that's coming out in the holidays. I may wait until then to get it.

Debating whether I want to try the DLC's hardmode, too. Sounds like some of it is just upgrading the monsters you meet, and I have been rather annoyed fighting silver level monsters--rather than being fun or more of a challenge, it just gets tedious and me hitting the thing even longer before it's down. The big bad monsters are still fun (Lynels, etc.), though... unless it starts raining in the middle of a fight with an Igneous. Yeesh. --Neal

Popular Posts