Radiohead -- In Rainbows


10/10

In 2007, I most definitely was not thinking about Radiohead. Sure, I had had magical experiences with their music in the past, but I was soured by Hail to the Thief (at least until the 2008 In Rainbows tour), and hadn't spun their other albums in quite a while. Before completely forgetting about them, I'd even begun considering the band derogatorily as "that downer band," thinking it quite easy to make powerfully negative albums as opposed to positive ones.
On an out of the blue October 1st, 2007, I saw a surprise announcement that the band had secretly completed a new album, and would be digitally releasing it for a pay-what-you-want price (even $0) on their own website in just 10 days. My interest was piqued at this before unheard of musical business model, but not enough to download the album on the 10th.
Thankfully, though, in the fall of 2007, I was experiencing firsthand the greatest workplace environment to ever exist: the circulation department of the Main Branch of the East Baton Rouge Parish Library. Ten days after that Radiohead announcement, Chris, a co-worker who was always passing good stuff on to me (he'd get me Doctor Who episodes the moment they aired on BBC, back when that was a big deal) brought me a burned copy of Radiohead's new album, In Rainbows (don't freak out, I paid cold, hard cash for a vinyl copy a few months later). His wife Mary, who also worked in the circulation department, was a big Radiohead fan, so when he burned her a copy, he did one extra for me. The best part is that they weren't even the only people who gave me music and other media on a regular basis. Another co-worker (an co-former KLSU DJ), Eric, has contributed an entire shelf to my music collection (you can now hear him every week on 96.9 FM, where he broadcasts his show, Subterranean Nation). I also read Ulysses, The Brothers Karamazov, and every Harry Potter book at that library. What a great place to work.
Anyway, despite my previous reservations, I popped In Rainbows into my car stereo. The album itself was shocking. Radiohead, that Radiohead, seemed, like me at work, to be having fun. Not just on a song or two. On the whole album. And the album wasn't all dark and dreary, wither. Sure, there was a darkness, but it was all lush, and sultry, and sexy. Yes, this bunch of nerdy old codgers were making music that was sexy. What was happening? Was the world, as the band had posited in their own music so many times before, coming to an end?
I think 2007 featured a lot of great new music, and I was in one of those nice, peaceful places in life, so this review may be a bit biased. In Rainbows hits a sweet spot for me. In mood, it's most definitely a night album. It starts off with a lot of fun energy before exploring some more sensual tempos and textures. It's not like the early parts of the album sound like a bunch of anthropomorphic sunflowers dancing around on a wooden fence, though. Actually, that sounds terrifying. Anyway, this is still Radiohead. There's still a darkness, but it's strangely comforting. The band, operating out of a more traditional vocals/guitar/bass/drums mold, use strings and electronics to help create a warm, enveloping sound. This may be the hardest Radiohead album to describe to an outsider, which is why I am using such many staccato descriptions.
In Rainbows is just good. The ten track brevity is incredibly appreciated after the bloat of Hail to the Thief. The pacing is perfect. I love the way that the album's atmosphere thickens as it goes along, particularly with "Reckoner" and "House of Cards." The evocative acoustic guitar and strings combo of two-minute middle track "Faust Arp" is a perfect breather. Everything just works here.
I can't express enough how done I was with this band before the release of In RainbowsIn Rainbows not only reinvigorated my fandom, but completely recontextualized the band's previous works for me. Radiohead are not a one-note act. Radiohead are a multi-faceted band, capable of evoking many disparate emotions and feelings. In Rainbows showcases that more than ever. The desperate fate of man might be a pet-topic for Thom Yorke, but its not all he can sing about. In Rainbows, with its more personal, more universal lyrics, vocalized by some of Yorke's most open, vulnerable singing ever, proves that.
If you've ever wanted to get into Radiohead in the past, but found them too dreary, In Rainbows is your access point. This is an invigorating album. It not only changed the business model for how albums are sold, but it may have subtly influenced popular rock music more than any of the band's previous works--you can make a masterpiece without wallowing in despair. In a post-Y2K, post-9/11 world, that was and still is an important concept to master. The world didn't end, and it's time to make the best of it.


2007 Self-Released/XL
1. 15 Step 3:58
2. Bodysnatchers 4:02
3. Nude 4:15
4. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi 5:18
5. All I Need 3:49
6. Faust Arp 2:10
7. Reckoner 4:50
8. House of Cards 5:28
9. Jigsaw Falling into Place 4:09
10. Videotape 4:40

Comments

Graham Wall said…
Dostoyevsky for the win! I love this part from "The Grand Inquisitor": "...when God points to the hands and feet of her [Virgin Mary's] Son, nailed to the cross, and asks, 'How can I forgive his tormentors?' she bids all the saints, all the angels and archangels to fall down with her and pray for mercy on all without distinction."

I haven't read all of The Brothers Karamazov, but my favorite chapter would be "Rebellion." The man just knew how to write so beautifully, in a way I have yet to see anywhere else.
I won't lie, he's got some lovely passages, but reading him is WORK. His characters don't speak in sentences, they speak in PAGES. I don't think I have ever had to fight a book so hard to finish it as Brothers Karamazov, though I don't regret reading it.
Neal said…
Ha! I think you could make that argument for quite a few 19th century writers: they go on for longer than they should. I loved Les Miserables, but darnit, Hugo, I don't need a 50 page essay about Waterloo. And dangit, Tolstoy, I also don't need 60 pages on why Napoleon really wasn't all that great a general but depended on the men below him for greatness. It's an interesting idea, but the length is killing me! (this is also why I prefer Tolstoy's short stories: there he just focuses on the story)

But yeah, you still nailed it for me with Dostoevsky. Love his thinking, love the issues he explores, but he is a bit long-winded. Notes from the Underground is refreshing because it's much more concise in its mania (even if most of it is just dialogue from a person speaking to the reader).

*ahem* I came here to talk about the album, however. As with you, In Rainbows kind of restored my faith in the band. I think if there is a fault for me with the albums from OK Computer to Hail to the Thief, it's that I felt too distanced and depressed at times by those albums. And sometimes I get depressed enough as it is. Not to mention that some of the musical experimentation just throws me off: boys, I get what you're going for with the blaring horns at the end of "The National Anthem," but it doesn't exactly make for an experience I can settle into. To be fair, nor can I read or watch Shakespeare's tragedies all the time--there is good stuff in all those albums, really good stuff.

In Rainbows made me go back to some of those other albums (some of which I do need to purchase still) and appreciate them more. It's like they needed to do all that work on those albums to come to this thoroughly pleasing amalgamation of everything that came before, with traditional sounds to more out there electronics and even kids shouting (as in 15 step). As you said, while there is sadness to this album, it doesn't feel debilitating, and the music isn't quite so much of a challenge. I can dive deep with In Rainbows or just have it on in the background while I'm working on other things. Yet it's still powerful enough to give me tingles and imagine moments in stories and novels I still have to write (or have written).

That's something special.
I'm on the fence with Les Miserables' historical digressions. On the one hand, I would have probably finished the book in a span of weeks instead of months. On the other, there is some intangible factor they add to the actual narrative of the book that I feel makes it stronger. Napoleon's fateful battle adds a little weight to the actual battle in the narrative, which in turn creates a beautiful juxtaposition when it is revealed Jean Valjean isn't taking part in it for some grand political reason, but simply because he wants to keep Marius alive, out of love for his daughter. I guess I just like the contrast between the sort of stately removed history and the very non-removed immediate action that takes place between it. But with all of that said, I agree with you, those 19th century guys went on way longer than they should. Even the American ones. For instance, I love the heck out of Moby Dick, but that middle chapter about ship taxonomy nearly killed me.
I'm not sure what it says for my appreciation of dissonance, but I love those blaring horns at the end of "The National Anthem." However, I agree to some extent with your opinion on those four albums in that by Hail to the Thief I needed a little light...or a Rainbow. I hope you get to check out their two most recent albums (King of Limbs and Moon Shaped Pool). They aren't quite as well-balanced as In Rainbows, but they aren't straight downers either. They also rein in the more dissonant experimentation, which I think might heighten your enjoyment of them.
Neal (BFS) said…
Oh, I don't mind having some of the history and context around the smaller details of the fictional characters (that works in War & Peace, too). It's just how much and for how long they digress. I remember reading War & Peace in high school, and staying up to finish it on Christmas Eve. I was less than amused when I realized the last 50 (or maybe it was 80?) pages of the book were another long essay, and that the actual story part was done. Yeesh.

Hmm, guess there is overlap for me between the 19th century authors and Radiohead. Don't get in too far and ruin a good thing? :p
Nice correlation! Also, I have somehow avoided reading War & Peace up until now...will I be able to live with myself if I never pick it up, digressions and all?
Neal said…
Well, part of me could wish I had read War & Peace when I was older (I was a sophomore in high school at the time), as I'm sure I would have appreciated it more. And I obviously enjoyed the story, as I was trying to get through that essay to what I thought was the end of the story (apparently I wanted more!). If you're going to do it, you just have to be willing to dive in. I think the first 200 pages I had to keep referencing the families and their names at the start of my copy of the book, but then I was golden for the last what... 800? Darn Russians and all their patronymics and nicknames. Of course, getting used to that made reading Tolstoy's other work, Dostoevsky, and Gogol a breeze. And I wouldn't want to unread any of that, that's for sure.

I may leap back in at some point just to see how it strikes me in my life now (and I can only remember so much now). It's literally War & Peace, one of those novels trying to cover the huge range of life, so I'm sure there will be things that loom larger now. But I have a lot of books I need to read... never managed to make it through Ulysses, for instance. I was bad in grad school and didn't finish it and I haven't been willing to take the dive since.

If you ever do check it out, I'd recommend the husband/wife translating duo, Pevear & Volokhonsky. I've liked all their translations so far and they have good energy, to my mind. If not that, their translation of many of his short stories is definitely worthwhile (I think it's "The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories).

--Neal

Popular Posts