Coming Soon to the Nicsperiment: Gamereviewapalooza! Also, What Is the Nicsperiment?


Earlier this year, I had numerous discussions with friends about how printed media is dead.
Sample comment: "A blog is pointless because kids today don't read. They just want to watch videos."
I also had several thoughts about social media.
Sample thought: "You should re-join Facebook (after your seven year absence) so that you can promote your blogs."
Interesting points, me and friends.
On top of that, Photobucket, where I hosted every blog picture from 2004 to the summer of 2016 (well over 1,000 photos over 12 years) imploded, rendering countless reviews and travelogues I have published picture-less.
All of this got me thinking:
Should the Nicsperiment continue?
Afterall, the blog zeitgiest faded long ago. Indeed, kids today would rather watch inane Youtube banter over reading a thought-out and meticulously written piece.
Also, the years I was on social media ('04-'10) certainly saw the most blog activity, as many people encountered The Nicsperiment through links on my Facebook account, and many others blogged (where they went is up for another discussion). But do I want my older relatives, distant schoolmates, and any random acquaintance who thinks I owe them the inside dirt on my personal life just that, as seen through the lens of a mid-90's punk album review?
I don't care that kids today don't read. I like to write, and I have always written The Nicsperiment for my own enjoyment. I don't care that I am missing out on a few thousand pageviews when those pageviews would come from people I'd rather not have in my personal business.
Then there's the photobucket thing. What a great example of the ephemerality of Internet-based media. All of those pictures gone. The answer to this is more difficult. I'll take the view hits to protect the integrity of The Nicsperiment, but will I revise all of that old content to again include the visual media it was meant to be augmented by?
Yes...over time.
I have already re-pictured all of the less visually-endowed 2004 and 2005, and I (thankfully!) started Google-hosting the pics on my new posts from June 2016 forward. Thus, the bookends of The Nicsperiment appear as they were always intended. The ten years in the middle will take time, especially the insanely prolific 2012 (270 legit posts!), and that includes all of the video game reviews I have posted on my other blogs.
With that said, I started a Nintendo 64 review site in 2013. I kept that blog extra secret for a while, wanting it to stay mysterious. I have decided that, as new pictures are now needed for the first two years of reviews, and as I re-launched that blog last year with a new review format, I will just re-launch again from the beginning, posting new pics and enhanced reviews in the place of the old ones (that all have dry writing, and ugly photobucket logos in the place of where the pictures used to be).
So, coming up next in my blogging world, a review of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, multiple new reviews of games on various consoles, and a hopefully consistent stream of revitalized Nintendo 64 Museum reviews (the originals of which were never announced or linked to from here!). I might also sprinkle in some music reviews to finish off the leter "R," as the last ones are sort of stragglers. Plus, I'll slowly re-visualize the rest of the blog.
I'm excited! Inane Youtube video viewers and Facebook stalkers can stick it! I don't know what they can stick or where, but whatever.
The Nicsperiment forever!...or until Google decides it doesn't want to host it anymore.

Comments

Graham Wall said…
Viva la Nicsperiment (purposefully bad translation)!

"I'm excited! Inane Youtube video viewers and Facebook stalkers can stick it!"

Ha! You should throw that pylon in the picture at them. Also, I like that donation button and its caption. Really funny.
Hopefully someone hates me enough to one day help me retire!

Popular Posts