The Nicsperiment's Work Listening Station: Volume 1

I've been back behind a desk for almost six months now, enjoying my job, and my work environment. Having my own office again is also great, as I can listen to tunes to help hone my focus during the workday. I am rediscovering the great pleasure of Youtube discoveries. Yes, that's right, I am discovering discoveries. I'd like to post my favorite ones of the week, just as much to help me remember them, as showcase them to others. However, I first feel like I have to go back to some earlier finds, stuff I found before I had the idea for this post. Also, I feel like saying that I am going to post this every week is putting pressure on myself that is not necessary. How about, "I'll post one of these whenever it's apt?" Best to start with something I have been listening to almost daily.

"Nordic Ambient Music," compiled by a Youtube member who goes by the name of "moonasha," is a great work mix. It can fill out a morning, or the post-lunch afternoon block perfectly.
The playlist is composed of four artists, Ulf Söderberg, Sephiroth (Söderberg's older act), Empyrium, and Tenhi. The playlist begins with Söderberg's work, which mainly consists of deep ambient tones punctuated by cathartic spiritual chants and tribal percussion, best exemplified by "I Vargamens Tid" at about the 27 minute mark. Another highlight is "det vakande tinget i nordväst," which changes the mood with a sort of Celtic, victorious homecoming-type flavor. This is followed by a short, Middle-Eastern flavored fast-paced sort of segue track that leads into the Sephiroth pieces.
Sephiroth is far darker, features heavier ambient tones and chanting, and longer track lengths. The high-water mark for me comes 54 minutes in, on "Now Night Her Course Began," a dark-river, slow-moving, but unyielding and beautiful.

Comments

Popular Posts