P.O.S. -- Chill, dummy


9/10

After a five-year hiatus, mostly due to a failed kidney and subsequently successful transplant, P.O.S. is back from the gallows with Chill, dummy. It's always a bit weird for me when I write an "Every Album I Own" review about an album that was just released, as I've been listening to the past two P.O.S. albums I reviewed over a half-decade, and this one for just a short time.
Even with only a short listening window, I can confirm that P.O.S. is back with a renewed sense of urgency, backed by a decidedly more experimental, electronic sound--and yet, this is the same defiant, independent P.O.S. The album has a great flow and diversity of sound and mood, with some great, frequent guest spots, and more of a lyrical focus on race and mortality than previous albums. Also, it's really, really good. The final track, the stunning, nine-minute "Sleepdrone/Superposition" might be P.O.S.'s career highlight, with an impassioned P.O.S. rapping "And all I want is to chisel my initials into something permanent now." I think it's safe to say you've done that, buddy.


2017 Doomtree Records
1. Born a Snake 2:32
2. Wearing a Bear 2:41
3. Bully (featuring Moncelas Boston & Rapper Hooks) 3:29
4. Faded (featuring Justin Vernon & Lady Midnight) 3:51
5. Pieces/Ruins (featuring Busdriver & Dwynell Roland) 5:21
6. Get Ate (featuring Gerald) 1:25
7. Roddy Piper (featuring Moncelas Boston) 4:20
8. Thieves/Kings 2:44
9. Infinite Scroll (featuring Manchita & Open Mike Eagle) 4:02
10. Lanes P.O.S 1:50
11. Gravedigger (featuring Angelenah) 4:17
12. Sleepdrone/Superposition" (featuring Allan Kingdom, Astronautalis, Eric Mayson, Hard_R, Kathleen Hanna, Lizzo, Lydia Liza & Nicholas L. Perez) 8:48

Comments

Popular Posts