Roadside Monument -- Beside This Brief Hexagonal


5/10

"Emo is just rock music with bad singing." -- Jesse Smith, drummer for Zao (1994-2004)

That quote might not be entirely fair, but in many (certainly not all!) cases, I have found it to be true.  Roadside's Monument's debut, Beside This Brief Hexagonal, certainly does not break this stereotype. The vocals are harsh, nasally, and desperately off-pitch. The music is daring to be unstructured and different, and yet the kids playing it don't yet have the ability and versatility to play diversely enough to make much of it stand out (much like I don't have the ability and versatility not to end a sentence with seventeen prepositions). Much of this music is aimless, simplistic, watery noodling. Still, there are moments, like the crunchy, impromptu jam at the end of "Prozac Princess," which promise that once this band gets a little experience behind their belts, they might just takeoff like a rocket. Eh, that sounded dirty.


1996 Tooth & Nail Records
1. Oh So Fabled 3:45
2. Seed 2:48
3. A Girl Named Actually 3:17
4. Still 3:25
5. Prozac Princess 5:45
6. Lobbyest 4:56
7. Immersion 3:02
8. Greek Tragedy 3:56
9. Boasting In Weakness 2:38
10. Mothered Others 6:23

Comments

Graham Wall said…
May I ask where that quotation is from? Jesse Smith is perhaps one of my favorite musicians, and not just in Zao, as I've also enjoyed music from Through the Eyes of Katelyn and my own halo (too bad I can't listen anymore cause MySpace music player hasn't worked on my web browser in months, lol).

So, I think his humorous statement has some truth to it. Like most genres, there are masterpieces and mediocrity ... based on my skimming of these songs, this one seems to be the latter.
Sure! He said it at Cornerstone in 2002. However, that guy was famous for making rashly opinionated, extreme statements. I don't know if you've seen Lesser Lights of Heaven (a three hour Zao documentary featuring in-depth interviews with all members, including Jesse), but it's pretty clear that his emotional volatility is a big reason the band kept "breaking up" before he left and they suddenly found stability...
With that said, I don't think Zao have ever quite had that "it" factor since his departure. He brought a raw emotion and restless creativity that I don't quite think they've been able to recapture. But I guess I'll get to all that eventually...
Also, your last statement--so true. I guess even country music has its great albums...*shudder*
Graham Wall said…
Just revisited your travelogue on that - what a treat to have seen them in 2002! I prefer the older stuff too ... "Liberate Te Ex Inferis" and "Parade of Chaos" anyway. I'll probably get the self-titled sometime, too, despite the V-Drums.

Yeah, I used to watch that film quite often ... Jesse was my favorite part about it, as he had a lot of controversial/interesting things to say. That clip where they have to stop playing the show because he's too drunk is hilarious!

I can only think of one country artist who perhaps has a great album ... Johnny Cash.
It is still the best show I have ever personally witnessed. Not to spoil my upcoming 2043 review of self-titled, but I think going with the V-Drums was a conscious decision to create a sterile sound which would contrast with and therefore highten the raw emotion of the album.
Yes, Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison! Most definitely great!

Popular Posts