Smashing Pumpkins -- 1979 (CD Single)


8/10

I thought about reviewing every single Smashing Pumpkins album, but that would be dishonest to my actual experience. The only full-length of their's I've ever owned is Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and the only other one I've thought about going back and picking up is Siamese Dream. However, I do have one other Smashing Pumpkins release, the CD single for "1979" I picked up after buying Mellon Collie... Thankfully, the single actually acts as an EP, containing three excellent Mellon Collie... b-sides in addition to definite a-side, "1979."
"1979" takes the opening spot, a beautiful, wistful slice of nostalgia with the now classic guitar riff, dreamy loops, and a drum machine leading the way beneath Billy Corgan's vocal reminiscing. This is followed by "Ugly," an understated, yet nasty track, led by a mean, straightforward guitar line, minimal percussion, and some bitter singing by Corgan. Something about the way the guitar interacts with Corgan's voice makes the track feel timeless.
There's actually a timeless feel to all four songs here.The third track is "Believe," the rare James Iha-fronted track. It's marked by acoustic guitar and strings and a brushed drum pattern. It's a charming track, and perfectly positioned here. The EP closes with "Cherry," one of Corgan's most desperate tracks, centered upon a dark and circular guitar line and Corgan's pleading vocals, "I need a love to help me find my way/I need a strength that I cannot betray/I need a word to say what I can't say/I need a lover." While the song is one of Smashing Pumpkins darker overall tracks, the post-chorus has a more hopeful/classic rock sound, and the fade-out on the outro makes you want to listen to the whole thing all over again. For anyone who wants a quick slice of Pumpkins, 1979 is a can't miss.


1996 Virgin Records
1. 1979 4:24
2. Ugly 2:28
3. Believe 3:15
4. Cherry 4:02

Comments

Popular Posts