The Nicsperiment's Favorite TV Shows of the 10's

If the 2000's brought the Golden Age of Television, the 2010's brought the...Age of Way Too Much Damn Television. With every cable channel, every streaming outlet, every broadcast channel, and seemingly every breakfast bar and milk brand seemingly producing a thousand television programs each, keeping up was impossible. I tried to at least watch the ones that seemed interesting to me, though even that amount seemed overwhelming. From that count, here are the ones I enjoyed the most, in no particular order. Instead of blathering endlessly, I've given each an appropriate, if not completely abstract sentence.

Atlanta (2016-) FX

Someone asks "Which genre?" and Atlanta answers, "Yes."

Breaking Bad (2008-2013) AMC

Pride is the real cancer.

Rick and Morty (2013-) Cartoon Network/Adult Swim

Knowing everything doesn't do you any favors.

The Middle (2009-2018) ABC

I'd rather watch this show about real people in a real place.

The Mandalorian (2019-) Disney +

Because the 2010's couldn't end with Star Wars sucking--Filoni and Favreau should have made the sequel trilogy.

Bates Motel (2013-2017) A&E Networks

Some monsters deserve empathy.

Justified (2010-2015) FX

Timothy Olyphant was the best actor playing the best character, Raylan Givens, who didn't just wake up and run into an asshole, but ran into assholes all day...and you know what they say...

You're the Worst (2014-2019) and Love (2016-2018) FXX and Netflix


Smart people with issues are attracted to smart people with issues.

The Last Man on Earth (2015-2018) Fox

What if you were one of only five or six people left on Earth, and you had the sinking realization that you were, definitively, the worst one?

Fargo (2014-) FX

Seems like when you're in the midst of domestic unhappiness, the devil always comes a'knockin.

Legion (2017-2019) FX

An inconsistent, incoherent kaleidoscope of congruent beauty.

Mad Men (2007-2015) AMC

It ain't easy being a man...of course, it ain't easy being anybody, but for some reason these men think the world owes them a break.

The Americans (2013-2018) FX

Love is my country?

The Good Place (2016-) NBC

The show that makes you want to be a better person...at least, it makes me want to be a better person.

The Terror (2018-) AMC

Better act civilized.

Mr. Inbetween (2018-) FX

Being pissed off isn't the path to inner-peace.

Baskets  (2016-2019) FX

Living your dream is likely impossible, but being yourself is perhaps even more difficult, and even less attainable.

Castlevania (2017-) Netflix

How do you kill someone who wants to die?

Barry (2018-2019) HBO

Two wrongs don't make a right...three wrongs don't make a right...four wrongs don't make a right...five wrongs don't make a right...

Fleabag (2016-2019) BBC

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a genius, and Fleabag, I love you.

Better Call Saul (2015-) AMC

Better to find the law elastic, and have a beating human heart, than to know and follow the law to perfection, and have a robotic, corroding one.

I tried to be ecumenical, but I'll drop all that and say, my two favorite shows this decade, in order, were 2. Castlevania, and 1. Fleabag. Castlevania is not only the only good video game adaptation ever made, but an incredible bit of horror/fantasy with jaw-dropping action, well-drawn, consistent characters, a great story, and an emotionally profound climax. I still can't believe it exists.
However, Fleabag just connects with me at a level deeper than anything else I've watched since...the 00's. I find I can relate to the title character, especially her flaws and insecurities, so easily, and I'm quite sure most viewers will feel the same. Waller-Bridge has such a keen, observational eye, and these twelve episodes feel so real, but also, she's so damn funny.
Also, I've got a real softspot for Mr. Inbetween. On any given day, I feel like a combination of Ray from that show and Raylan Givens from Justified. Woah, they're both named Ray? Pissed off Ray. What's up with that?
Fleabag is perfect, though.


EDITOR'S NOTE FROM WAY IN THE DARK FUTURE OF 2020: Just a postscript, but the tone-deaf finale of The Good Place, which aired just a month into 2020, has me almost wanting to remove the show from my list. As someone who has struggled with suicidal thoughts throughout my adult life, I found that final episode to be absolutely offensive. I'd like to keep the "moment in time" feel of this piece, though, so I won't remove it. However, I wish I could replace The Good Place in my list with Community--I hadn't seen the final season of Community when I wrote this, but I have now. While Community's sixth season isn't near the show's best, I find that, as a whole, I enjoy Community far more than The Good Place. After I watched The Good Place's finale (much like others with How I Met Your Mother), I never wanted to watch the show again. As soon as Community's finale ended, I went back and started watching the first season again. It successfully accomplishes the "self-improvement" themes The Good Place bungles. Love Community.

Comments

Popular Posts