U2 -- Under a Blood Red Sky


9/10

Riding a wave of buzz and energy from 1983's War, U2 didn't rest on their laurels. They released a gnarly live E.P. just months later. Under a Blood Red Sky collects eight songs from three of the band's performances that year, spanning all three of their albums, as well as a couple of lesser known tracks. 
I didn't realize how vital Under a Blood Red Sky is as I collected the main U2 albums. However, I checked out the E.P. at one point way back when I was working at the library, and quickly learned three things, three being the Sesame Street-style number for the day in this review:
1. "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" was the U2 song I had been waiting my whole life to here. The song is actually the first the band ever recorded (with Joy Division producer, Martin Hannett), and I actually think that original version is lousy. This fiery live version, recorded not by nervous newcomers in a studio, but by a more experienced band with attitude and a chip on their shoulder, is a personal favorite of mine. It's got the classic, urgent U2 vibe, in the vein of "New Year's Day," with Edge chiming clock tones on his guitar after unleashing one of his most aggressive solos (the kind where he goes really high) in the magnificent bridge.
2. Adam Clayton carried this band at their earlier stages. It's no secret that U2 didn't begin their career as the most accomplished musicians. One of the reasons their established sound is so singular is that they essentially learned how to play together in a sort of a unique, trial-by-fire self-taught manner. However, for whatever reason, it feels like Clayton mastered his instrument the most quickly. When I started playing bass, I learned by ear to U2 albums. Steve Lillywhite's mix here favors Clayton's bass playing quite a bit. You'd never here it that clearly from a younger band because the bass is generally all compressed to hell  these days, but here it's super bright and in the front, highlighting Clayton's role as the bedrock of the band's sound. But the rest of the quartet sound great too, which leads to point three.
3. I ran into a lot of old timers back when I was doing radio stuff or hitting up a show somewhere who insisted to me that seeing U2 in some dive bar in the early 80's was the greatest experience of their lives. This E.P., which is 35 minutes long, and might as well just be considered a full length album, proves these geezers weren't just blowing steam. I've been to a large amount of shows over the span of my lifetime. I've seen most of my favorite acts. Some bands just have "it." I've seen U2 twice, and the shows were both great, but by then they were in their late 40's and 50's, respectively. I'm sure at those points, they were far better musicians than they were in the 1980's. However, that energy and fire, that mysterious "it," like for instance, when I saw Radiohead on their In Rainbows tour, is here in great abundance. It's quite easy, after listening to Under a Blood Red Sky, to understand how these four Irish kids shortly thereafter took over the world. This is U2's first chance at a big moment, and they nailed it. As great as Clayton plays here, the other three members do just exactly what they have to do, as well. That hunger and intensity is heard in every note. I wish the E.P. were longer. Even just two more songs. That's the only thing holding Under a Blood Red Sky back from perfection.

P.S.: This video version from the Under a Blood Red Sky film is slightly different from what's on the record, but it really allows you to see just how epic this show was. I woulda two, but I somehow wish I woulda been there.

1983 Island
1. Gloria 4:32
2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock 4:34
3. I Will Follow 3:36
4. Party Girl 2:52
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday 4:55
6. The Electric Co. 5:18
7. New Year's Day 4:29
8. 40 3:36

Comments

Popular Posts