Misao Senbongi and Shusaku Uchiyama - "Serenity"

2005 for me was the kind of intensely isolating and journeying year that is more fun to reminisce about than to actually experience, though it was fun. I documented a lot of it here, except for the Heart of Darkness Summer, where I not only turned my back on flesh-and-blood humans, but the Internet. Check out the links on the right side of this page, and you'll see that the lone Nicsperiment entry features a picture that is essentially taken from a metaphysical graveyard at night. I did have two constant companions that summer, though, my cat and Resident Evil IV for the Nintendo Gamecube.
That game is awesome, and it features an intense and brooding score...except for in the spare moments the player is allowed a bit of rest. At those times, usually in some dark, distant room or cave, lit by a lone candle, hidden from, yet surrounded by evil, a calming, meditative piece called "Serenity" plays.
Admittedly, as soon as I'd hear the first note of that music, I'd bow my face to my hands, shut my eyes, and feel myself reflecting on everything, not necessarily about the game, but my life. When I listen to "Serenity" tonight, I'm immediately taken back a decade, but I also can't help but to reflect on now.

Let's keep this whole "reflection" thing going for Friday's entry.

Comments

Popular Posts