Art Isn't Supposed to Tell You How to Feel!



Every time I visit The Onion's AV Club, I get unreasonably angry, but for some reason I always go back to it. I think they just killed my desire to ever read any of their television episode reviews again, though.
The final bullet? This sentence from a negative review of this week's nuanced and morally conflicted episode of South Park, which presented difficult issues without either moralizing or lecturing. The reviewer, John Hugar, utterly perplexed by nuance and moral conflict, fired off this rocket of critical ignorance:

"What really derails this episode, however, is that we’re never supposed to know exactly how we’re supposed to feel about what’s going on here."

I don't want any human being to tell me how to think. Why then, would I want the media I consume to do so? South Park exists to provoke the viewer. When South Park presents an issue, in this case, beloved media figures who have fallen from grace, it does not tell you how you should feel. It instead asks a question: How do you feel about this?
That is what I want from the art I consume. Provoke me to think. Don't do the thinking for me. Ugh. What is happening with the world? Critical thinking is key for an educated society, and should be encouraged. Otherwise, would kind of society are we?
The worst part is, what review gets posted to Wikipedia, giving passersby  glancing opinion of the episode? Why, of the two listed, one is from John Hugar's review on the AV Club.
Ugh...

Comments

Graham Wall said…
"I don't want any human being to tell me how to think."

I kinda thought, you know, that most people didn't have much of a taste for dogma? Perhaps I was wrong. I know virtually nothing about the AV Club or South Park, but art that asks questions can be great. Some things are just better taken as they are, apart from mediation such as theoretical explanations.
Yeah, agreed. Your final sentence reminded me of the last time I got angry reading their reviews. There were a series of reviews by multiple authors that gave shows negative reviews because the reviewer misinterpreted something that happened, then extrapolated what they thought was going to happen afterward based upon that misinterpretation. All of the reviews essentially ended with, "If this is where the show is going, I don't want to follow." Then the comments section would blow up about the misinterpretation, and obviously, what the reviewer said would happen in the show going forward did not happen in the following episodes, as the reviewer did not even understand what was presently happening.
This incompetence wouldn't bother me so much if the reviews weren't cited on Wikipedia, Metacritic, and Rotten Tomatoes, which essentially makes them gospel, despite the fact that they are terribly inaccurate, and not reflective of reality.

Popular Posts