Stability

Phew. 
That was a close one. 
I've been on Blogger for the last 15 years. Over 1800 posts. Half a million visits. 
Yesterday, I was ready to blow it all up.
If you've been here in the last week, you may have noticed that every link on The Nicsperiment was disabled, and that comments were not allowable. The layout of the page was also suddenly chaotic.
Considering the work I've put into this blog for the last decade-and-a-half, this was extremely unacceptable. I know Google has been working out the kinks on Blogger's new interface, but with those kinds of extreme issues, I was ready to find a new host.
I played around with Wordpress, but I also kept checking things out here to see what was happening. Finally, Blogger updated the design options and interface, and I was able to repair the damage. The Nicsperiment again became functional, and I think, looks better than it ever has.
So, I'm sticking with Blogger. It may not be the most popular host, but I've enjoyed my time here up until the last month, and my traffic has stayed at a rate I find acceptable. It seems like I have less regular readers, but thanks to search engines and twitter, I've gotten enough transient readers to balance things out. 
The Internet and people's reading habits have changed so much in the last 15 years. All I've ever dreamed for this place is that when a random person anywhere wonders "I wonder what somebody else thinks about X," that they would search the Internet and end up here, finding some point of connection. I feel like statistics are showing that this is still happening , so for now, I'm happy. If anyone has any ideas on how even more people can end up here, by all means let me know.
For now, expect the same kind of content I've been publishing for years.. I'm going to finish reviewing my entire music collection, a ten-year project, next summer. I'm going to keep reviewing films and adding them to my film review archive. I'm also going to keep reviewing video games on my other blogs, and linking to them here.
This was as close as the Nicsperiment has ever come to dying...but thankfully, and hopefully for the foreseeable future, it will keep fighting to see many more days.

Comments

Graham Wall said…
Nice place you've got here! I'm glad you're sticking with Blogger, though I might be a little biased. An eternal, 15-year-old Internet institution couldn't go down without a fight. ;)
Thanks! You’re right, I don’t want it to become a “temporary” Internet institution!

Popular Posts