Thrice -- Beggars


7/10

Ah, and I am immediately reminded that I am not actually a Thrice fan. After enjoying the band's Alchemy Index concept E.P. series, Beggars brings the band back to Earth for me. After all of the experimentation of the Alchemy Index, the band decide to pursue a straighforward rock sound on this 2009 full-length. The results don't do much to excite me, and the limited range of the vocals start to wear on me, though there are a few high points that I've come back to. "Circles" has some great dynamics, bouncing between hypnotic, Rhodes-augmented verses, and a fittingly circular chorus, before a cathartic outro. I also enjoy the surprising acoustic guitar/group vocal outro of "Talking Through Glass/We Move Like Swing Sets," and I think the title track is a rousing closer. The rest, though, while solid, isn't something that stirs me. I can't say Beggars is bad--it's just not an extraordinary release. This may scratch Thrice fans' itch, though, as it does present the band in a new context--just not one I'm interested in.


1. All the World Is Mad 3:59
2. The Weight 5:00
3. Circles 4:19
4. Doublespeak 4:51
5. In Exile 3:53
6. At the Last 4:05
7. Wood and Wire 4:10
8. Talking Through Glass/We Move Like Swing Sets 4:30
9. The Great Exchange" 3:33
10. Beggars" 5:24

Comments

Popular Posts