Friday Music Drops, 8/28/2026
Introducing a new series of posts that I'll likely abandon after just this TWELVTH entry: it's Friday Music Drops! The idea is that every Friday I will listen to the handful of new release songs my Spotify account recommends to me based upon my previous listens and write my quick, off the cuff thoughts on each, without really doing any research, so that these posts are as pure as possible. Here we go!
Ruby Haunt -- "Daystar"
Spotify really struggled to pique my interest today. It's tried to recommend Ruby Haunt's nostalgic, synth-heavy pop for quite awhile, even though I haven't dug it. "Daystar" does it's thing like a nostalgic wallpaper. It's just not for me. Personally I need a little more dynamics in my music.
The Callous Daoboys -- "Watching Us Kiss"
"Dynamics, you say?" responds Spotify. "Have you tried The Callous Daoboys?" "Yes," I say. "I tried them a few times because YOU WON'T STOP RECOMMENDING THEM." I have my suspicions as to why Spotify keeps recommending The Callous Daoboys to me, but I find the band's hyperactive, psychopathic spin on metalcore to be a form of wallpaper all its own. Again, it's just not for me, and this new song doesn't escape containment.
Imminence -- "If Not Now, When"
I've never heard of Imminence, but they get more than a million plays a month. This sounds like some kind...well, they describe themselves as an alternative metalcore band. I guess this is fine. Heavy verses, floaty choruses, some strings. I don't know, it's not doing it for me either, though I at least like it better than the previous songs. I would say I'll quit while I'm ahead, but I'm far from ahead. I guess I'll give one more song a chance.
Holding Absence -- "Modern Life Is Lonely"
Holy cow, these soft, electropop verses are wimpy. I at least like the big, soaring choruses. Does this band call themselves "metalcore" too? Nope, "post-hardcore." What the hell does that even mean? They get more than a million plays a month too? I want to go back to bed.
Finally, apropos of nothing, here's Stephen Wilson Jr. performing "Gary" at CMA Fest again because I need a palate cleanser.
Ruby Haunt -- "Daystar"
Spotify really struggled to pique my interest today. It's tried to recommend Ruby Haunt's nostalgic, synth-heavy pop for quite awhile, even though I haven't dug it. "Daystar" does it's thing like a nostalgic wallpaper. It's just not for me. Personally I need a little more dynamics in my music.
The Callous Daoboys -- "Watching Us Kiss"
"Dynamics, you say?" responds Spotify. "Have you tried The Callous Daoboys?" "Yes," I say. "I tried them a few times because YOU WON'T STOP RECOMMENDING THEM." I have my suspicions as to why Spotify keeps recommending The Callous Daoboys to me, but I find the band's hyperactive, psychopathic spin on metalcore to be a form of wallpaper all its own. Again, it's just not for me, and this new song doesn't escape containment.
Imminence -- "If Not Now, When"
I've never heard of Imminence, but they get more than a million plays a month. This sounds like some kind...well, they describe themselves as an alternative metalcore band. I guess this is fine. Heavy verses, floaty choruses, some strings. I don't know, it's not doing it for me either, though I at least like it better than the previous songs. I would say I'll quit while I'm ahead, but I'm far from ahead. I guess I'll give one more song a chance.
Holding Absence -- "Modern Life Is Lonely"
Holy cow, these soft, electropop verses are wimpy. I at least like the big, soaring choruses. Does this band call themselves "metalcore" too? Nope, "post-hardcore." What the hell does that even mean? They get more than a million plays a month too? I want to go back to bed.
Finally, apropos of nothing, here's Stephen Wilson Jr. performing "Gary" at CMA Fest again because I need a palate cleanser.


Comments