I'm 40!


I feel like I have deep thoughts on this, but also, I feel fine. I cried the night before I turned 30, and last night I just watched five minutes of a Netflix show with my wife til she fell asleep, and two episodes of Bob's Burgers with my son, then put him to bed. Then, I put myself to bed.
My 30's were quite an eventful decade, though in many ways they were immensely difficult, particularly on the mental side. I feel an optimism for this coming decade that I didn't feel for the last one. Not expectations, just peace that things I agonized and worked over tirelessly in my 30's almost all came to fruition by the time that decade was over. I went back to school and essentially failed, went back again and was succeeding, had to drop out, got a job doing what I was going to school for, then worked my way to a great position. My wife and I passed our 4th through 14th anniversaries, and the majority of my son's childhood took place--he'll be a teenager before I turn 41! My siblings had children of their own, and they are all awesome, and all of my nieces and nephews by marriage got even more awesome. 
I kept hitting false starts with my marathon dream, and then finally did it...multiple times. I had no desire to write fiction any longer, but I wrote non-fiction pieces here that thousands of people read. I missed being on the radio like I was in my early 20's, but now I'm the host of a podcast I'm proud of, that's ranked in the top 5% of all podcasts in the world.
I also love how I spent that entire decade reviewing my music collection here (among other things). I'm excited to keep this space going as a creative outlet...though the creativity I've come to enjoy mostly seems to be in talking about others' creativity. Also, I ended my 30's by running four marathons. Will I top that in my 40's? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out!

Comments

Popular Posts