Songs I Like From 2021 Albums I Didn't Quite Love

I've made it a point this year to only include albums on my Top Albums list (releasing tomorrow) that I not only enjoy, but have listened to continuously from front-to-back.
Here are some songs, in no particular order, that I really liked, from some 2021 albums I may have enjoyed, but haven't really found myself revisiting often, with a few exceptions.

*     *     *

Tinashe -- "Bounce Pt. 2" 
Sometimes you just like an artist no matter what they do. Do I wish alternative R&B artist, Tinashe, now independent and following no one's muse but her own, would sing about something other than getting high and wanting sex? Sure. Does that make me like her any less? Not really, and she really shows her versatility here, bookending the artistically vibrant 333 with two versions of the same song, "Bounce," the first a high-energy dance track, the second a sizzling slow jam where she goes from whisper-singing to a surprisingly husky tone, and sings "Can't get any closer now/kiss me 'till my legs give out" so wistfully, my eyes start watering.


Slow Crush -- "Drown"
I've enjoyed the shoegazing Slow Crush's second album, Hush, quite a bit, but I'm not sure if the dense, distorted and reverb heavy album is one I'll revisit much in the future. It's one of those "defy expectations" albums, where songs build and don't quite release, or dwell on dronier passages that don't seem to go anywhere. Hush feels like drowning in a pleasant way, but never quite lives up to the promise of its mostly acapella (with one buzzing guitar), aptly named opening track, "Drown." "Drown" is the embodiment of overwhelming feelings, and feels primed to explode into an album of unbridled catharsis, and not the more heavy, anchor-like hall of echoes it actually leads to.


Against the Current -- "Burn It Down"
After listening to Against the Current's seven song EP/full-length hybrid, Fever, nonstop for several days, I realized to my surprise that I miss that mid-to-late-00's pop punk, girl-fronted sound. Fever is a lot poppier than what I'm usually into, but for some reason I'm far more okay with that than usual here. I particularly dig the driving, twinkly-guitared "Burn It Down," which has a great wall-of-sound chorus, and a fun stripped down bridge that builds back up to one last exuberant chorus. Fun stuff.


Five Iron Frenzy -- "So We Sing"
I was very excited at the news that ska stalwarts, Five Iron Frenzy, would be releasing their first album in eight years in 2021. When it was released shortly after the year began, I listened to it nonstop for two or three days, but haven't listened to it once since. I like the daring, spitfire political angle several of the songs take, but the album's constantly midtempo, less exciting musical bent just hasn't tempted my ears to come back. Still, there are some good songs here--I'm very partial to the march-like rhythm and catchy chorus of lead single, "So We Sing."


Limp Bizkit -- "Out of Style"
Look, I like Limp Bizkit and I don't care who knows. On their new album, Still Sucks, these guys are self-aware and playing to their strengths, which means Still Sucks features a bunch of jams with Fred Durst knowingly pushing his goofy, over-the-top persona as far as he can reach. I'm not even going to pretend like I haven't listend to Still Sucks a dozen times this year, and I had a blast every time. "Out of Style," which does basically everything a Limp Bizkit song can do, is about as nu-metal ear candy as it gets.


Weezer -- "I Need Some Of That"
Weezer released two albums this year, and the second, the classic rock throwback, Van Weezer, is not my favorite of that duo. However, I still enjoy Van Weezer quite a bit, as it's buoyed by several excellent songs, in particular the incredibly catchy and triumphant "I Need Some of That," which interpolates Asia's "Heat of the Moment" and Blue Öyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" to rapturous effect.


Jinjer -- "Vortex"
I came so close to including Jinjer's 2021 full-length, Wallflowers, to my favorite albums of the year list. The songs run together just a bit too much for me, but this is a talented metal band, with jazz chops, and an incredible frontwoman. I particularly like when they bring it down for a minute, like on the chill "Vortex," which still manages to pull off a wonderfully satisfying and volatile conclusion.


Crap, forgot one. Coming back over a week later to add:

Whitechapel -- "Orphan"
This song is essentially what would happen if a Southern rock band made a Slipknot ballad, and I am 100% down with that.

Comments

Popular Posts