Friday Music Drops, 07/31/26
Introducing a new series of posts that I'll likely abandon after just this SEVENTH entry: it's Friday Music Drops! The idea is that every Friday I will listen to the handful of new release songs my Spotify account recommends to me based upon my previous listens and write my quick, off the cuff thoughts on each, without really doing any research, so that these posts are as pure as possible. Here we go!
Starflyer 59 -- "Disappointed"
I am a big fan of former shoegaze band Starflyer 59's first 15 years of work...though they've now been releasing material for 33 years! I still give every new Starflyer release a chance, and they released their "Disappointed" EP today, which is a disappointedly short three songs. The songs are at least loud and rowdy, featuring a garage-throwback sound most fully realized in this title-track lead single.
Stephen Wilson Jr. -- "Hardwired (featuring Miranda Lambert)"
Wilson Jr. is classified as a country artist, but his latest songs have featured more of a grunge and hard rock sound, though I guess the twang in the magnificent etched-granite of his voice is country enough. Befitting Wilson Jr.'s recent influences, this ode to hard-living, "Hardwired," extrapolates the Pixies' "Where Is My Mind" to great effect, with Lambert's lovely support. The musicianship here is also crisp and tasty, particularly the active bassline and the way Wilson Jr.'s drummer manhandles his hi-hat.
Between the Buried and Me -- "Jellybelly"
I didn't know I was going to hear Between the Buried and Me perform a hybrid speed-metal/progressive rock version of The Smashing Pumpkins' "Jellybelly" today, but I'm glad I did, and you'll be too!
Adam Wiltzie and Jóhann Jóhannsson -- "White Gloves and Turtlenecks"
Jóhann Jóhannsson was beginning to gain fame as a film composer, after staking out an innovative claim on the fusion between electronic and classical music. After Jóhannsson's tragic death, Adam Wiltzie has apparently completed an album they were working on, and this first piece of released music from that is, as expected, a beautiful fusion of those two musical elements, albeit one a bit too brief.
Finally, apropos of nothing, here's Stephen Wilson Jr. (again) performing the song, "Gary," after decrying the lack of Garys in the world today.
Starflyer 59 -- "Disappointed"
I am a big fan of former shoegaze band Starflyer 59's first 15 years of work...though they've now been releasing material for 33 years! I still give every new Starflyer release a chance, and they released their "Disappointed" EP today, which is a disappointedly short three songs. The songs are at least loud and rowdy, featuring a garage-throwback sound most fully realized in this title-track lead single.
Stephen Wilson Jr. -- "Hardwired (featuring Miranda Lambert)"
Wilson Jr. is classified as a country artist, but his latest songs have featured more of a grunge and hard rock sound, though I guess the twang in the magnificent etched-granite of his voice is country enough. Befitting Wilson Jr.'s recent influences, this ode to hard-living, "Hardwired," extrapolates the Pixies' "Where Is My Mind" to great effect, with Lambert's lovely support. The musicianship here is also crisp and tasty, particularly the active bassline and the way Wilson Jr.'s drummer manhandles his hi-hat.
Between the Buried and Me -- "Jellybelly"
I didn't know I was going to hear Between the Buried and Me perform a hybrid speed-metal/progressive rock version of The Smashing Pumpkins' "Jellybelly" today, but I'm glad I did, and you'll be too!
Adam Wiltzie and Jóhann Jóhannsson -- "White Gloves and Turtlenecks"
Jóhann Jóhannsson was beginning to gain fame as a film composer, after staking out an innovative claim on the fusion between electronic and classical music. After Jóhannsson's tragic death, Adam Wiltzie has apparently completed an album they were working on, and this first piece of released music from that is, as expected, a beautiful fusion of those two musical elements, albeit one a bit too brief.
Finally, apropos of nothing, here's Stephen Wilson Jr. (again) performing the song, "Gary," after decrying the lack of Garys in the world today.


Comments