Friday Music Drops, 7/24/26

Introducing a new series of posts that I'll likely abandon after just this SEVENTH entry: it's Friday Music Drops! The idea is that every Friday I will listen to the handful of new release songs my Spotify account recommends to me based upon my previous listens and write my quick, off the cuff thoughts on each, without really doing any research, so that these posts are as pure as possible. Here we go!

Chelsea Wolfe -- "Cold"

My algorithm presented me with another Chelsea Wolfe song. It appears that she is continuing in a more organic instrumentation direction, away from a more recent electronic lean, and I really like this song, though I am not sure about its creepy video.

Echo & the Bunnymen - "Brussels Is Haunted"

I've worn out Echo & the Bunnymen's first four albums and even some of the ones from right after their reformation, but not so much their stuff from the last 20 years. I guess Ian McCulloch heard U2 were coming out with new music and wanted to one up them. I've read the band's authorized biography, Turquoise Days: The Weird World of Echo and the Bunnymen, where McCulloch admits he hates Bono and thinks he is fat and ugly and has bad fashion sense and hair. I am not a huge fan of Bono these days, either, and the fun, if straightforward and Brussels-loving "Brussels Is Haunted" is easily better than any U2 song I've heard in the last decade.

Her Last Sight -- "My Mirage"

I've been very impressed by Her Last Sight this year, as they've easily been one of the most fun heavy bands in a genre and musical decade not known for fun. Their last few songs have featured colorful and unexpected breakdowns, but they play it straight this time, proving they are capable of performing a technically proficient and emotional metalcore song. Well, if you're watching the video, mostly straight.

Finally, apropos of nothing, here's Stephen Wilson Jr. performing the song "Gary" at the Brooklyn Bowl.

Comments

Popular Posts