Friday Music Drops, 9/11/26
Introducing a new series of posts that I'll likely abandon after just this FOURTEENTH entry: it's Friday Music Drops! The idea is that every Friday I will listen to the handful of new release songs my Spotify account recommends to me based upon my previous listens and write my quick, off the cuff thoughts on each, without really doing any research, so that these posts are as pure as possible. Here we go!
Spiritbox -- "Mourning"
Definitely not going to act like I am too cool to like Spiritbox. Spiritbox, and their unique blend of ethereal and heavy, beauty and harshness, epitomized by vocalist, Courtney LaPlante, are a great band. I don't know if "Mourning" is announcing a new EP or LP, but it seems to pick up right where the closing track on 2025's Tsunami Sea left off, a soaring and optimistic song that again, I am definitely not going to act too cool to like. I like it.
Red In Summer -- "Burn for You"
Red In Summer is a mysterious band who has yet to release a full-length album, just a steady trickle of atmospheric, excellent rock singles. I am not high on the shortsighted lyrical sentiment expressed in "Burn for You"--in fact, I absolutely hate it--but it's at least up to the musical standard of their previously released songs.
Cage the Elephant -- "Dying in Reverse"
I think Cage the Elephant's "Shake Me Down" is one of the best songs of the 2010s. I've tried to connect with the rest of their work and just haven't been able. I know a lot of people have and are huge fans of the band, but it just hasn't worked for me. I think fans will likely go for "Dying in Reverse," but this may be the last time I ever listen to it.
Joakim Berg -- "Arkadien"
You know who I was a really big fan of, though? The legendary Swedish rock band, Kent, who unfortunately called it quits a decade ago. I wish they'd come back and just refer to that period as their "ten-year sabbatical." Alas, I'll have to make do with solo work by frontman, Joakim Berg. "Arkadien" showcases Berg's deft ear for melody and his unique chord changes and arpeggios, but there's a moment about halfway in where it sounds like the full band should come roaring in, and instead Berg more quietly continues. Life's not fair.
Finally, apropos of nothing, here's the lyric video for Stephen Wilson Jr.'s "Gary."
Spiritbox -- "Mourning"
Definitely not going to act like I am too cool to like Spiritbox. Spiritbox, and their unique blend of ethereal and heavy, beauty and harshness, epitomized by vocalist, Courtney LaPlante, are a great band. I don't know if "Mourning" is announcing a new EP or LP, but it seems to pick up right where the closing track on 2025's Tsunami Sea left off, a soaring and optimistic song that again, I am definitely not going to act too cool to like. I like it.
Red In Summer -- "Burn for You"
Red In Summer is a mysterious band who has yet to release a full-length album, just a steady trickle of atmospheric, excellent rock singles. I am not high on the shortsighted lyrical sentiment expressed in "Burn for You"--in fact, I absolutely hate it--but it's at least up to the musical standard of their previously released songs.
Cage the Elephant -- "Dying in Reverse"
I think Cage the Elephant's "Shake Me Down" is one of the best songs of the 2010s. I've tried to connect with the rest of their work and just haven't been able. I know a lot of people have and are huge fans of the band, but it just hasn't worked for me. I think fans will likely go for "Dying in Reverse," but this may be the last time I ever listen to it.
Joakim Berg -- "Arkadien"
You know who I was a really big fan of, though? The legendary Swedish rock band, Kent, who unfortunately called it quits a decade ago. I wish they'd come back and just refer to that period as their "ten-year sabbatical." Alas, I'll have to make do with solo work by frontman, Joakim Berg. "Arkadien" showcases Berg's deft ear for melody and his unique chord changes and arpeggios, but there's a moment about halfway in where it sounds like the full band should come roaring in, and instead Berg more quietly continues. Life's not fair.
Finally, apropos of nothing, here's the lyric video for Stephen Wilson Jr.'s "Gary."


Comments