Friday Music Drops, 9/4/26
Introducing a new series of posts that I'll likely abandon after just this THIRTEENTH entry: it's Friday Music Drops! The idea is that every Friday I will listen to the handful of new release songs my Spotify account recommends to me based upon my previous listens and write my quick, off the cuff thoughts on each, without really doing any research, so that these posts are as pure as possible. Here we go!
is this ok -- "wilted flowers"
Man, last week's selections were rough, hater fuel. Hopefully this week's are more up my alley. is this ok is a new band operating in the late 90s/00s throwback heavy alternative style, which explains the lowercase and washed out female vocals. I think "wilted flowers" is the third song they've released. It's nice and though it doesn't quite lift its head above the choppy sea of its current competitors, I like it better than all of last week's drops, especially in its relaxed and groovy outro!
Annie Baltic -- "New Lows"
Annie Baltic--is that your real name?!--follows in the same genre suit as is this ok, but "New Lows" has a bigger hook than "wilted flowers" and the singer looks and is styled like a late-90s fashion model. Pretty cool song! It has a relaxed outro too, though this one pulls out an acoustic guitar.
Black Coast -- "Spiral"
And the throwback songs continue! Black Coast trade out all that shoegazey flutteriness for a concrete, more hardcore-influenced sound, and yet it's still a noisy, agitated sibling of the first two songs. I love the big chorus. This band has most definitely got my attention. Would have undoubtedly jammed this on the Alpine in my car in 2002. More please!
Adam Wiltzie and Jóhann Jóhannsson -- "Dazed and Reflective Glory Pt. 1"
And now a complete change of pace. This duo (R.I.P. Jóhann) provide just the combination of electronics and gorgeous, aching strings I was hoping for, with a nice motif, and beautiful work by the Budapest Art Orchestra and Peter Pejtsik. I really hope this entire upcoming album is this good, especially considering this is posthumous work from Jóhannsson.
Nails -- "Dollar Bin Generation"
Hey, things are going so well, how about another song, and another change of pace? According to Spotify, NAILS combines grindcore, crust-punk, and death metal, and I guess that is what "Dollar Bin Generation" sounds like. It is gnarly and mean and heavy and for such a short song, contains a number of really satisfying pace changes because I like saying "change" and "pace" today. This song definitely fully satisfies the intensifying heavy itch the first three songs on this list started to scratch.
Finally, apropos of nothing, here's Stephen Wilson Jr. performing "Gary."
is this ok -- "wilted flowers"
Man, last week's selections were rough, hater fuel. Hopefully this week's are more up my alley. is this ok is a new band operating in the late 90s/00s throwback heavy alternative style, which explains the lowercase and washed out female vocals. I think "wilted flowers" is the third song they've released. It's nice and though it doesn't quite lift its head above the choppy sea of its current competitors, I like it better than all of last week's drops, especially in its relaxed and groovy outro!
Annie Baltic -- "New Lows"
Annie Baltic--is that your real name?!--follows in the same genre suit as is this ok, but "New Lows" has a bigger hook than "wilted flowers" and the singer looks and is styled like a late-90s fashion model. Pretty cool song! It has a relaxed outro too, though this one pulls out an acoustic guitar.
Black Coast -- "Spiral"
And the throwback songs continue! Black Coast trade out all that shoegazey flutteriness for a concrete, more hardcore-influenced sound, and yet it's still a noisy, agitated sibling of the first two songs. I love the big chorus. This band has most definitely got my attention. Would have undoubtedly jammed this on the Alpine in my car in 2002. More please!
Adam Wiltzie and Jóhann Jóhannsson -- "Dazed and Reflective Glory Pt. 1"
And now a complete change of pace. This duo (R.I.P. Jóhann) provide just the combination of electronics and gorgeous, aching strings I was hoping for, with a nice motif, and beautiful work by the Budapest Art Orchestra and Peter Pejtsik. I really hope this entire upcoming album is this good, especially considering this is posthumous work from Jóhannsson.
Nails -- "Dollar Bin Generation"
Hey, things are going so well, how about another song, and another change of pace? According to Spotify, NAILS combines grindcore, crust-punk, and death metal, and I guess that is what "Dollar Bin Generation" sounds like. It is gnarly and mean and heavy and for such a short song, contains a number of really satisfying pace changes because I like saying "change" and "pace" today. This song definitely fully satisfies the intensifying heavy itch the first three songs on this list started to scratch.
Finally, apropos of nothing, here's Stephen Wilson Jr. performing "Gary."


Comments