So Now What Do You Think About Starflyer 59?


Wow, that was a lot of Starflyer 59 albums. Now, as I (almost) always do when I review more than ten albums for one band (in this case, 15 original full lengths, and one extremely awesome compilation album), here's a a post-review series Q&A breakdown.

Wow, that took you long enough! What'd you, start writing these back in June?
Yeah...this is turning out to be just one of those years. Like, last year, everything was really easy and I just did just stuff, and it went smoothly, and I bought a house, and moved to the city, and nothing bad happened, and nobody died, and this year, everything hasn't been that easy, and I haven't just done stuff, and everything hasn't gone smoothly, and bad stuff has happened, and people have died, but a lot of interesting stuff has most definitely happened, as well. Unfortunately for these Starflyer 59 reviews, most of the things in the second half of the previous sentence happened during this summer, meaning that instead of wrapping the reviews up by July, I am wrapping them up on the last day of September. Hey, at least I technically finished them in the last calendar month of summer, right?

You keep mentioning depression in these reviews, and how you came to the realization that Starflyer is a band you seem to listen to when you are depressed. It also seems like you went through a period of depression this summer...while you were reviewing Starflyer. Does Starflyer 59's music make you depressed?
I think it was just serendipitous that I ended up reviewing these over the summer of 2019 because I experienced the confluence of two types of depression. The first I've felt coming down since late spring, which is just my garden variety regular brain chemicals depression where all of a sudden I seem to lose the capability to feel positive emotions, and just want to hang out in my room, and never interact with humans ever again. Thankfully, I've picked up the tools to fight that over the last 20 years, and so I was battling it, and doing okay.
The dagger, sucker-punch, kick to the guts, pipe to the throat came in late July, when my 36-year-old close friend and confidant, Sam Sublett, passed away without warning. This sent me into a situational depression, which is most definitely no more fun than the regular old depression, and for me at least, a lot harder to fight against. The first kind, I can be mindful, and dissect my negative thought patterns, and there's a clear path to victory. Been there, done that, dozens of times. For the second one, Sam is dead, and I'm not having lunch with him this week, or next week, and he's never guest-hosting on Filmshake, and he's never going to meet his daughter, and he and I aren't going to be joking about the good old days one day because he is never going to get old. He's dead. I can't resurrect him with positive thought patterns and socializing.
Nothing like an awesome depression twofer! I'm actually thankful I just happened to be covering Starflyer during this time period. Not wanting to stop listening to the first decade of their albums probably delayed the reviews more than anything. In my worst periods of depression, (Starflyer 59 Frontman) Jason Martin's music has always been a balm, and that first batch of albums has "Goodbyes are Sad." With that said, just like I recently wrote in these reviews, locking yourself up in your room and listening to music is fine for a little while, but eventually, the only thing that will help you to fight is getting out of there, getting out in public, and spending time socializing with your friends, which sounds like an absolute nightmare when your head is buried under your pillow, but is actually one of the only things that is going to long-term get your head out from under that pillow. Yeah, I know I just said it won't bring my dead friend back, and I still cry every time I slam my phone back into the counter after I've reflexively picked it up to text him, but socializing heals, even though this scar ain't leaving.

So again--
No, Starflyer's music doesn't make me depressed. I've sought Starflyer 59's music out when I've been depressed, listened to it, felt kinship with it, eventually realized I won't get better until I get out of the house and socialize, gone out consistently, while working on healthy thought patterns and talking to a counselor, and gotten better (I've never had much luck with meds, but I'd never count that out for other people because I've seen them work). I've also listened to Starflyer 59's music a lot when I'm not depressed. Old. Dial M. Really fun stuff.

Okay, cool, rank all the Starflyer 59 full lengths.
Okay. I'm going to include Easy Come Easy Go, as I reviewed it, and I think it has its own personality and identity. I'll go from least favorite to favorite. You might notice this doesn't mirror my scores exactly.

15. IAMACEO (2013)
14. The Changing of the Guard (2010)
13. I Am the Portuguese Blues (2004)
12. My Island (2006)
11. Talking Voice vs. Singing Voice (2005)
10. Tie. Everybody Makes Mistakes (1999) and The Fashion Focus (1998)
9. Young In My Head (2019)
8. Slow (2016)
7. Gold (1995)
6. Americana (1997)
5. Silver (1994)
4. Dial M (2008)
3. Old (2003)
2. Leave Here a Stranger (2001)
1. Easy Come Easy Go (2000)

By the way you've talked about them, how prolific they've been, their longevity, the way they've played with genre, and the acts with which they've been associated, Starflyer 59 sounds like they should have been at least "indie famous." What gives? Is there some barrier to listener entry?
I will say, on those earlier albums, Martin's vocals may turn off some listeners. His singing is vague and pitchy, and while it fits the dreamier, more metaphysical sound of those early albums, it might not be everyone's cup of tea. However, from Old onward, Martin's voice grows deeper, stronger, and more charming with each album to the point that it's a strength, and not a hindrance. In fact, I'd say as far back as the late 90's, as Martin began to better understand his limitations and strengths, his vocals were no longer a barrier for listeners keyed in to that aspect. Truthfully, Starflyer 59 should be a legendary act, with a corresponding coffee book, which takes a deep look at the creation of each of the band's albums, as well as each of their distinctive musical periods and phases. Life isn't fair.

Good note to end it on.
Yeah, cuz sometimes "life isn't fair" can be a good thing.

What's coming up next on The Nicsperiment?
October is going to bring The Nicsperiment's second annual horror movie marathon! This time, instead of just occupying the last ten days of the month, it will hopefully take up the majority of the month. I am looking forward to it! Last year, I held myself to classics I either hadn't seen, or hadn't seen in at least 20 years. This year, the theme is going to be a lot more contemporary!
Also, I wrote a pretty raw piece over the summer, on the night of Sam's funeral, titled "Why Did Jesus Cry for Lazarus?" that I never published. Talking about Sam's death here is tempting me to make that work public, though I'm not sure. I was 100% "No one should ever read this" when I finished it at 2 a.m. that night, and I'm 50/50 on it right now.
Mazel tov.

Comments

Graham Wall said…
Nicholas, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Have appreciated reading your thoughts about depression throughout these posts.
Thanks, Graham. I really appreciate that.

Popular Posts