2019 Halloween Recap



Sadly, Halloween is over. However, here in South Louisiana, the end of Halloween does bring with it the hope that we've also seen the end of any temperatures approaching the high 80's!  Last night's trick-or-treating weather got into the 40's! But lest this turn into the Nicweatherment, here's a recap of The Nicsperiment's Halloween week:

I kicked things off with a review of James Wan's The Conjuring, which I enjoyed, but found to be a little too demonic-possession-by-numbers.

I then moved on to the radical The First Purge, which I enjoyed quite a bit, even when it got a little heavy-handed. Heavy-handed is better than empty, in candy buckets and in politics!

After that out-of-town-shot duo, I realized I wanted to watch something that had been filmed locally, so I watched The Last Exorcism, expecting it to be patronizing and insulting. Whoa, it wasn't. Great little hidden gem, with a magnificent and empathetic central performance by Patrick Fabian (wacky ending notwithstanding).

None of these movies were very gross, though, so then I watched Hellbound: Hellraiser II, which was nothing if not gross. So gross, it pissed off kittae.



After all that nastiness, I figured I'd watch the PG-rated Poltergeist, which was pretty good at the beginning and end, and about as fun as watching a psychic watch paint dry in the middle.

Following tradition, habit, addiction, what have you, I also snuck in a review for a spooky video game, in this case Castlevania for the Nintendo 64.

Keeping the video game theme going, I watched Paul W.S. Anderson's Resident Evil, which is just dreadful, though it does contain a magnetic performance by Milla Jovovich.

Resident Evil was so damn bad, though, I swore off video game movies, and switched to Stephen King stuff instead, watching the bizarre, yet kind of fun Christine, then finally finishing my listen of the just okay Doctor Sleep.

I never watched Urban Legend back in high school because I figured it would suck, and having watched it now, boy was I smart back then.

Finally, I decided to bring the whole week full circle, and finished my Halloween viewing fun with James Wan's The Conjuring 2, which I enjoyed a bit more than the first film. That movie's like a nice, scary old pair of gloves.

As Chun Li says, "That's that." At least, I think that's what she says. 16-bit voice-processing wasn't the best. Speaking of, I've got the longest gestating Super Nintendo review ever coming up in November, along with reviews for The Lighthouse and several other films, Filmshake's first 90's Film episode, and reviews for most of the musical catalogues of Stavesacre and Stellastarr. Plus, maybe I'll even sleep.

FORGET THAT! I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD!!!

Comments

Popular Posts