Watashi Wa -- What's In the Way


7/10

A couple weeks before I moved into a new apartment late in the summer of 2001, I had $20 burning a hole in my pocket. I somehow ended up at the Bible and Book Center (R.I.P.) on Government Street, in the music section. I convinced a friend who worked there to let me test out the new releases. Two tracks into Watashi Wa's What's In the Way, and I handed my $20 over. Those stores were expensive, so I don't think I got much change back.
What's In the Way is Watashi Wa's second album on Bettie Rocket records. Bettie Rocket was viewed as a sort of low-rent Tooth & Nail, with the kind of bands that were often recommended with the phrase, "If you like (popular secular band the Bettie Rocket band was nowhere near as good as), you'll love (this Bettie Rocket band)." I belive I own three Bettie Rocket albums, Like David's It Started With Twelve (not as good as Deftones), E. So's International Healing (not as good as...Limp Bizkit? I can't find the CD, and I must have missed reviewing it somehow), and this. I never heard Watashi Wa's first album. From what I understand, that one was kind of standard punk, and What's In the Way eschews that for a more punk-influenced, straightforward rock sound, ala Tom Petty played by West Coast skater kids. An "if you like..." sticker wouldn't have been apt on this album because it's clear that Watashi Wa are attempting to follow their own muse. Frontman, Seth Roberts, gained a reputation as a great songwriter, eventually getting this band signed to Bettie Rocket big brother, Tooth & Nail, before performing as Eager Seas for that label, then Lakes for the Militia Group, a record label that also featured Juliette Lewis' band. The kid shows all that promise here, with some strong, memorable melodies and catchy choruses, and his bandmates aren't bad, either.
In fact, they're quite good! These kids can play! The lead guitarist is constantly showcasing riff after riff, the bassist is active and tight, and his best friend, the drummer, is jamming right along with him, rolling off some impressive fills. What's In the Way is a hidden gem. I'd be surprised if any better album came out of Bettie Rocket. the album does have its flaws, though, and most of those have little to do with the band. The low-budget production, while doing a great job of keeping each instrument clear and separate, is still quite flat and lacks punch. Just imagine that big lead guitar line at the end of "Andy" served by the million-dollar production of blink-182's Enema of the State. It would shear the crust off the moon. With the production lacking a solid punch, the songs, despite their quality, start to blend into one another, and the nearly identical mid-tempo of each doesn't help. As good as the drummer is, a better producer would have had him vary his boom-tat, boom-boom-tat, boom boom-tat, boom-boom-tat drum patterns more often. These things keep the album in merely good territory, when it could be great. But boy, does What's In the Way have some great moments.
When Roberts sings, "It's just another day in Simplesville, everyone's the same," to kick off "The Simple Road Less Traveled," it feels like a star moment. The bridge in "I'm Not You" can't help but sound huge, even with the flat production. The chorus to closer "Look," over that shredding guitar lead is incredibly impressive. I really dig this album. Underrated stuff.


1. Wrong Kind 3:38
2. I’m Not You 3:30
3. The King 2:47
4. The Simple Road Less Traveled 2:55
5. Here’s to Tomorrow 2:43
6. The Fleeting 3:50
7. Andy 4:27 8. Change of Seasons 4:08
9. The Difference a Day Makes 3:31
10. Look 3:47

Comments

Unknown said…
Ooh! I really loved this album and used to have it on repeat in my car all the time. Need to hunt this down now. Their first album had some solid tracks as well, but nothing near this good. I remember seeing them play live at the Centroplex at one of those Christian youth conferences (dang what was that called...something with Fire in the name). I remember liking them enough to want to hunt down their CD at the conference. I was super into anime and anything Japanese at the time so Christian punk with a Japanese band title was the awesomest thing I had ever heard. But alas I think I must have dropped my $20 or something and never got the CD.
Unknown said…
That comment was me btw - Jordan
Unknown said…
Btw - How dare you insult Bettie Rocket! I had plenty of their CDs and they were just...fine. No but really I liked a lot of their stuff. - Jordan
I think it was at an Acquire the Fire. Yeah, this is so good! What other Bettie Rocket albums did you have?
Jordan said…
Acquire the fire! That was it! Were you there? Or just guessing from "fire" and Christian conference? I'll have to check which ones I had. Hold up...
Jordan said…
Bettie Rocket CDs I used to own but are lost in the landfill somewhere:

Sick of Change - These Shattered Lives (If you like Slick Shoes' Rusty, then this is not as good. But still fun!)

Various ‎– Nothing Says "I Love You" Like Punk Rock! (including a Watashi Wa track from their first album...and then a lot of bands I don't remember at all. Yay Bettie Rocket!)

Various ‎– The Voice Of Revolution - Bettie Rocket Collection (including two tracks each from each artist, with bands like Noggin Toboggan and more Watashi Wa! and Face Value! Remember them? No? Completely understandable!)

Man I can't remember....maybe I DID have What's In The Way and maybe I DID buy that debut Watashi Wa album at Acquire the Fire...or later from Bible and Book. I seem to know all these songs...then again, they do all sort of sound the same as well hahaha.

I could have sworn Ace Troubleshooter was a Bettie Rocket band, but that's not what the Internet is telling me now. I thought Value Pac was one too, but nope, they were Tooth and Nail. But I had that Jalapeno album and listened to it a couple times. Spicy!

Bettie Rocket's compilation albums were definitely the Value Pac of Christian punk compilation albums. More bands for your buck, but half of them not noteworthy at all.

OK, so perhaps your take on Bettie Rocket is legit after all. But they still hold a fondness in my heart for those early youth-group-punk-filled days.

And to correct my earlier comment for all the Internet to see: It was Watashi Wa's 2003 Tooth and Nail album, The Love of Life, which I used to spin on repeat in my car all the time and is notably poppier and happier than anything you will hear on T&N, and I just re-listened to it all on Spotify and still really dig that album. Their sound definitely matured and I think Seth was a great songwriter, excelling in that genre at least for sure.
One of the weirdest negative reviews I've ever read was for Sick of Change's The Shattered Lives, which accused the band of "harmonizing too much."
Graham Wall said…
I recently learned that a couple of the MxPx guys played on Eager Seas. Some of those Bettie Rocket album covers are way too funny! Not as bad as Grapetree.
Jordan said…
I definitely remember my brother, Corey, bumping some of these Grapetree albums, esp. this L.G. Wise album:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51FqbVNDAZL.jpg
Yeah, dude! I remember him listening to that. And Crystal had a ton of Grapetree stuff when we got together. And who can forget Pettidee?!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pettidee

Popular Posts