THE NICSPERIMENT HALLOWEEN 2021 RECAP


Holy cow, that was fun. Great Halloween, and a great month here. I reviewed and wrote about so many things. 
I slid into the season with a viewing of 1999's Ravenous, reviewed here, and then my 90's Movies Podcast with Jordan Courtney, Filmshake, covered it, with special guest, Wes Jones, from Reel Talk. It's great fun.
Then I dove headfirst into a sea of horror movies, starting with 1977's Suspiria, which I didn't love, the newly released Halloween Kills, which I also didn't love, and Guillermo del Toro's debut film, Cronos, which I thought was alright.
I then changed things up and reviewed the Japanese only SNES game, Clock Tower, an influential survival horror release, but not really the most fun game to play today.
I then dove into third chapters in two long-running franchises, the dumb but supremely fun Friday the 13th Part 3, and the weird as hell, and just kind of okay The Exorcist III.
After this, it was time for Filmshake's second October episode, focused on Tales from the Crypt's two 1990's films.
I wrote reviews for these, as well, enjoying the dumb fun of Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight, but finding Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood to be a total suckfest, no pun intended. 
Also, my wife is a cute scarecrow.

I then checked out two found footage flicks, the freaky, creepy The Taking of Deborah Logan, and the charming, micro-budget Host, which explores some 2020 anxieties.
After those, I ventured into another entry in a long-running series, this time the surprisingly solid Psycho II, from 1983.
This is the third straight Halloween season that's seen me training for a marathon, and I love listening to a Stephen King audiobook while doing that. This year, for the first time, it was the amazing Misery.
I then finally watched the new Halloween horror classic, Trick 'R Treat, and enjoyed it a candy load. Candy load sounds gross. Sorry.
I then decided to do a couple of head-to-head reviews between renowned Japanese horror films and their Hollywood remakes, starting with Ring/The Ring, which are both stellar, and Ju-On: The Grudge/The Grudge...only one of which is stellar.
Next I watched the "Thorn Trilogy" of Halloween films, which includes the quite enjoyable Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, the quite a dud, Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers, and the kind of terrible, but also kind of awesome Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. Good times. Thanks, Mike.

I felt like the best way to spend October 31st on The Nicsperiment would be to center the entire day around one of my all-time favorite movies, 1982's The Thing. I kicked the day off with a review of the subpar prequel, 2011's The Thing, followed that up with one for the decent 1951 flick, The Thing from Another World, then finally reviewed John Carpenter's aforementioned masterpiece, 1982's The Thing. To put a bow on the day, and the season, I finished things out with a review of the fun novella that has spun off every The Thing adaptation, John W. Campbell Jr.'s 1938 sci-fi chiller, "Who Goes There?"
Again, this was really fun. Maybe the most fun Halloween ever. I had a great day with my family; woke up, ran 16 miles, published these reviews, partied with everyone, trick-or-treated, chilled. I'm already looking forward to next October. What a great time.

Comments

Popular Posts