The Nicsperiment's Got Some 2020's Goals

15 years ago...the dream was a free place to write stuff online.
The Nicsperiment is doing okay. People still read my stuff. That feels nice. Thank you. In the 10's, I had 150K visitors. That's pretty groovy for a dead format. I get that most people just want to watch a video or listen to people talk now instead of reading stuff. I still like writing stuff, though, and I'm going to keep writing stuff. Here are some goals for this decade.

1. Finish these dang ole "Every Album I Own Reviews" by next year.
I decided to review every album in my music collection in July of 2011. Next July will mark the ten-year anniversary over that. In the last 8.5 years, I've made it to the latter half of the S's. I'd like to finish "Z" by July of 2021. I think I can do that. We'll see. I've loved writing these, and at the worst of times, they've kept me writing and thinking. I know I've slacked off a bit the last couple of years, but over the next year, I'd like to make a very concentrated effort to getting more of these reviews published. I'm going to try to finish "S" by the spring.

2. Replace all of The Nicsperiment pictures Photobucket stole from me.
When I started The Nicsperiment in late 2004, Blogger did not have the capability to host photos. You had to use a third party site, and Photobucket, which promised it was free to use, was among the most popular. During the last 15 years, most websites, including Blogger, have incorporated their own photo-hosting. In that time, Photobucket has completely mismanaged itself, while watching its entire business model become outdated. Photobucket's website became a soul-sucking eyesore of adware on top of adware. Meanwhile, Google bought Blogger, photo hosting was incorporated, and in the summer of 2016, I started hosting new post's pictures here. Unfortunately, during this time, Photobucket grew more and more desperate, finally announcing that they were going to hide user's pictures beneath a ridiculous paywall. Thankfully, I anticipated this was coming, and managed to salvage and rehost all of the pics from my posts from 2004-2008 (The Nicsperiment's original "Golden Age of Blogging" years), as well as the photos from all of my precious Travelogues (the best thing The Nicsperiment has to offer). Unfortunately, this means that all photos from posts between 2009--mid-2016, sans Travelogues, have blanked out pictures. This includes the other sites I run through Blogger that are older than mid-2016, which is a bit infuriating, particularly the Wii U review one that featured a ton of photos.
I'm looking on the bright side with the video game ones, in that I have far better capture capabilities now, and when I get the time, I'll post far better pictures into those reviews than what was originally there. Those are just a thimble full of posts, though, compared to the Costco detergent bucket of posts with blank photos I've got to fix on The Nicsperiment. It's likely going to take me years. I want to, and will likely do it, but that leads me to my final point, and it's a question...

3. Should The Nicsperiment stay on Blogger?
I've never, ever, apparently not even when I was in the womb, been a fan of change. I get that Blogger isn't the hottest place to be right now. I mean, I'm perfectly happy with its functionality, and all of my stuff is here, but sometimes I'm afraid Google is going to can it, and I'm going to lose everything. Is there some way, if that were ever a thing, that I could move this whole shindig, including all of my past posts, to a new location?...because you know, if anything, The Nicsperiment is all about the past. Is there a reason I should go somewhere else anyway? I'm pretty happy with the traffic I've gotten this year, but is there somewhere I should go to get this stuff in front of more eyeballs?

Those first two points are concrete, and early decade goals...whatever follows them is exciting. The third one is theoretical and scares me!

Comments

Popular Posts