"Weird Al" Yankovic -- Running With Scissors


7/10

Full disclosure: at this point in my life, when I hear the first notes of Don McLean's "American Pie," the first lyrics that come to my head are "A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away/Naboo was under an attack." I spent my entire life, essentially up until the point where I could legally vote, only hearing the original version of Don McLean's ode to Baby Boomerdom, but the moment "Weird Al" released his parody version, "The Saga Begins," which recounts the plot of Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace better than the actual movie does, "Weird Al"'s version was the only one for me. 
"The Saga Begins" wisely kicks off Running With Scissors, the 1999-released tenth album of parodies and original comedic songs by "Weird Al" Yankovic. I have always enjoyed "Weird Al" (quite literally "always," considering he released his first album when I was two), but this is the only album of his I've owned. I generally don't buy comedy albums, and actually, Running With Scissors may be the only album I own in this entire genre. Comedy albums just...aren't my thing. It says a lot for Yankovic's skill and likability that I own Running With Scissors--I'm pretty sure when I complete this series in a couple of months, you will not have seen a single country music album here. No one transcended that genre for me like "Weird Al" did this one. That said, as much as I love Yankovic's work here, and the way he really takes a great snapshot of my favorite year in human existence, I don't come back to this a ton. When I do, though, I mostly enjoy it. 
"The Saga Begins" never gets old. Yankovic's band is so talented, they're often better musicians than the ones in the bands they are parodying, so when they take on a classic, they never struggle. Also, Episode 1 might not be my favorite movie, but I still have fond memories of everything surrounding it in the summer of 1999. The other parodies here don't shine as brightly, mostly because "The Saga Begins" has to be one of the best and most epic parody songs ever recorded. "Pretty Fly for a Rabbi" is slightly less irritating than "uh...sure, we're a punk band" Offspring's "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" pop original. I more enjoy the "All About the Benjamins" parody, "It's All About the Pentiums," which includes the line "What kind of chip you got in there, a Dorito?" I like "Grapefruit Diet" less, as its "Zoot Suit Riot" parodying just ends up feeling like a b-side to Yankovic's better odes to being overweight.
The majority of songs here are originals, which also vary in their quality, as well as a polka medley. As for the originals, there's a silly zydeco track whose topic is fully explained in its title, "My Baby's in Love with Eddie Vedder." There's also an awesome ska song featuring horrific sign readings, "Your Horrorscope for Today," along with several more. Really, I'm burying the lede that one of these "several more" is the eleven-minute "Albuquerque," an incredible stream of consciousness rambling tale meant to test fan's patience, which just ended up turning into one of the most fun and memorable songs of Yankovic's career. Oh yeah, and the polka medley, "Polka Power," which covers 15 late-90's radio hits in four minutes, is also a stunner. Can't forget about that. Actually, maybe I do like Running With Scissors quite a bit. ...maybe I should get more comedy albums?


1999 Volcano
1. The Saga Begins (parody of "American Pie" by Don McLean) 5:27
2. My Baby's in Love with Eddie Vedder 3:25
3. Pretty Fly for a Rabbi (a parody of "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)" by The Offspring) 3:02
4. The Weird Al Show Theme 1:14
5. Jerry Springer (parody of"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies) 2:46
6. Germs 4:38
7. Polka Power! 4:20
8. Your Horoscope for Today 4:00
9. It's All About the Pentiums (parody of "It's All About the Benjamins" (Rock Remix) by Puff Daddy) 3:34
10. Truck Drivin' Song 2:27
11. Grapefruit Diet (pardoy of "Zoot Suit Riot" by Cherry Poppin' Daddies 3:30
12. Albuquerque" Yankovic Style parody of The Rugburns[8] 11:22

Comments

Popular Posts