The Nicsperiment Halloween 2023 Recap

Halloween 2023 is in the rearview...but it doesn't have to be forgotten. Here's what I was up to on The Nicsperiment:

First I reviewed 1979's The Amityville Horror, often considering a classic of the genre, though it was panned at the time of its release. Let's just say the 1979 critics knew what they were talking about. Then I moved another increment into the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise with 3: Dream Warriors. I figured I might as well keep trucking through the 80s franchises, so for my yearly chronological venture into Friday the 13th, I took on Friday the 13th: A New Beginning. I then bounced far into a 2010s franchise with the surprisingly frightening and quite terrific Annabelle: Creation.

I then realized I only had two movies left to knock out in the Halloween franchise, so I watched and reviewed them...unfortunately those two movies were Rob Zombie's 2007 remake and 2009 sequel.
Gross.
After watching that absolute trash, I decided I needed to class up the month, so I then enjoyed the 1921 classic, The Phantom Carriage. I then moved on to the less classy but still fun S. Craig Zahler joint, Bone Tomahawk. After all this R-rated stuff, my 90s movies podcast with Jordan Courtney, Filmshake, talked 1993's kid Halloween classic(?), Hocus Pocus.

Hocus Pocus Inflatable
And then I wrote a review for Hocus Pocus for good measure. 
After making public that I'm not a Hocus Pocus fan, I figured I might as well piss off even more people, so I gave the beloved 1981 art-horror film, Possession, a highly negative review. I then decided to keep the "I think there's something wrong with my wife" subgenre going, so I watched David Cronenberg's The Brood, and I liked it WAY more than Possession. I then moved from one famed horror director to the next, with 1980's The Fog, then bopped on over to another Carpenter film, this time 1994's In the Mouth of Madness.

From there I watched my personal favorite discovery from this Halloween, the 2001 film Le Pacte Des Loups, aka The Brotherhood of the Wolf, something that had been on my "too watch" list for over 20 years. Glad I FINALLY(!) watched it! Then I moved on to another form of media, television, and Hulu's creepy 2019 Limited True Crime Series, The Act. I then kicked off a run of "women are trapped" media items, starting with the underrated 2007 thriller, P2, the 1965 classic John Fowles cinematic adaptation, The Collector, and an audiobook review for the classic evil dog Stephen King feature, Cujo.

I closed things out by reviewing a bunch of media related to the legendary 1979 science fiction horror classic, Alien. First I read and reviewed the Alan Dean Foster novelization of the film. Then I reviewed a VIDEO GAME, 2014's terrifying survival horror entry, Alien: Isolation. Then I reviewed the Intrada-released soundtrack for the film, which includes Jerry Goldsmith's full score, and then wrapped things up with the incredible graphic novel adaptation for the film, released way back in 1979, but still a remarkable achievement today. But what about a review of the actual film?
Well, I didn't get to it before Halloween ended because it is so incredibly in depth and philosophically dense, it won't be released till this Wednesday. I don't know if anyone will ever read all 7000 words of it, but it's one of the most important things I've ever written. To the future.
Pumpkin next to severed hand

Comments

Popular Posts