THE NICSPERIMENT HALLOWEEN 2022 RECAP

All pictures taken in and around my house or neighborhood during October, 2022

Another one in the books. My Halloween season was violently bissected by a household outbreak of the flu, and while I was able to keep the reviews going, I admittedly didn't enjoy October 2022 as much as I would have liked. With that said, Halloween itself ended up being unexpectedly great, a nice day at work full of John Carpenter music, and a great time trick or treating in my unexpectedly festive, active, and happy neighborhood. My son and I even kept the night going by fitting in a final horror film between the end of trick or treating and midnight. I wrote a review for that movie today...but I'll save publishing it for Horror Fest 2023. For now, here's a recap of Horror Fest 2022 on The Nicsperiment.
 
Onward!!!

I kicked things off with a review of what some consider a classic, 1976's The Omen. I did...not think it was a classic. I followed that up with Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil, which I thought was incredibly fun and charming. The slingshoting of love and hatred continued, as I then reviewed the 2021 Candyman remake, which is stylishly directed, but written like a junior high short story assignment. But then I went from writers swinging really hard and only hitting air, to Nicholas Cage hitting absolutely everything ever, in the bizarre 1989 gem, Vampire's Kiss. From one cult film to the next, I jumped straight to 1982's really horny, really lousy, but kind of fun, Blood Tide.
 
Treat?

Speaking of lousy, 2001's Thirteen Ghosts...I'm sorry, Thir13en Ghosts is, but it is even more fun than Blood Tide. At this point, I decided to polish off the original Halloween series timeline with the very fun and pretty good Halloween H20: 20 Years Later and the not very fun and very terrible Halloween: Resurrection. Speaking of lousy entries in series that go on too long, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, which definitely isn't the final chapter, came next.
Then came the Night of the Demons-palooza.
First, my 90's Movies podcast with Jordan Courtney, Filmshake covered 1994's extremely fun horror comedy, Night of the Demons 2.
But we didn't just talk 2. We talked 1, we talked 3, and even the 2009 remake. And then I reviewed all four here!
The first one's kind of fun, but not great.
The second one is, as I said, a gory, goofy blast.
The third one SUCKS. SUCKS!!!
The 2009 remake is really, really stupid trash, but strangely good-natured and fun.
Somebody call the power company

I decided it was time to mix media a bit, so first I wrote a review for the 25th Anniversary of the classic PC horror-adventure game, The 7th Guest. Then I watched the controversial, overlong, but actually pretty good Netflix mini-series, Dahmer -- Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story, with my wife, and then reviewed the show here. I then did a "young man turns into a monster" double-header, first with the almost okay A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, and then with the just okay Halloween Ends.
I then closed things out with a review of the audiobook version of Stephen King's The Dead Zone, then the finale, a review of the recent, twist-filled shocker, Barbarian.
 
Though not as shocking as this pancake

Considering I just published 27 reviews, I'm gonna take the next few days off. However, I've planned out the rest of 2022 for The Nicsperiment, and if I pull everything off, November and December should be a lot of fun. Hopefully, it will be a lot of fun regardless, but also, hopefully I am able to write everything I've planned out. Also, November here is home to a certain special feature that's entering its third year. The next post will be about that. Until then, happy last two months of the year! I hope they're great!!!









Comments

Popular Posts